Trains slower in terminals

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

Idiot Railfan

Trains slower in terminals

Post by Idiot Railfan » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:11 pm

I've noticed recently that PATH trains pulling into terminals are going a lot slower, particularly in Hoboken. Where they used to fly in, sometimes giving passengers a scare as the bumper got closer, they now slow to a crawl.

Is this some new policy or I am just imagining things?
"But Dad. It's Smokey!"

HBLR

Re: Trains slower in terminals

Post by HBLR » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:20 pm

The terminal at Hoboken is very, very old and sits in fill, no trains should be coming fast into there, especially when crossing the switches.

That said, they have been changing how fast they go throughout the system in the last 3 months. On the straight through the freight yard for example, they have for a few weeks not been going full speed, but last week I got on a train & the engineer was clearly going as fast as the equipment could go. I've spotted groups of rails laying here and there, perhaps they are replacing some stretches with a speed restriction before & after.
No I'm not a railroad professional, but that doesn't mean I can't provide first hand observational comments.

keithsy

Post by keithsy » Sun May 08, 2011 4:37 pm

I miss the fast speeds. That was what made PATH a truly rail-rapid transit. Sadly, an FRA inspector, who benefitted from affirmative-action went around the country with meaningless and expensive "safety" programs to reduce speed on the railroads. She never operated a train in her life.

Patrick Boylan
Location: Here is a stupid picture, pay attention to me. Burlington Township, NJ 08016

Post by Patrick Boylan » Sun May 08, 2011 8:17 pm

Apparently not slow enough
http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=82142
PATH Train collides with a bumping block @ Hoboken (0900)

Return to “NYC MTA Subway and Rail, PATH and SIRT”