Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#69168  by JayMan

Well, folks, as you know, Eastern Queens is badly underserved and could accurately be described as transit deprived. But, as you also know, building new rail links, especially when there is no ROWs that can be commandeered, cost oodles of $$$.

So I'm making this thread in part to see needs to be done, and to see what, if anything can be done. I'm hoping to gather some information about what the transportation system is like in E. Queens and to brainstorm so ideas about what to do about it.

Ok, here's what I see: The areas of Queens that are terribly underserved can divided into 4, possibly 5 regions. Number 1 would Jamaica Estates and Hillside Ave going east. Number two would be southeast Queens – Laurelton and Locust Manor. Number 3 would be Whitestone and Beechurst, number 4 of course LGA, and number 5 possible Hillcrest and the area along the LIE to the Nassau County border. Now, if $$$ and time wasn't a problem the solution to all of these would be straightforward:

For sections 1 and 2, extend the F and E respectively, and add another set of (super express) tracks for Queens Blvd.

For section 3, extend the 7 line along Parsons Blvd and maybe the Cross Island Pkwy – the <7> only. Locals would terminate as Main St. Too bad the LIRR Whitestone branch was ripped up.

For section 4, extend the Astoria Line, perhaps adding an airport express.

And section 5 seems up in the air. May not be even needed, perhaps a new line along 69rd Rd/Jewel Ave to join along the LIE?

Ok, so here are some questions: What is need of each section? Which one is the worst? Hopefully we get some input from some locals. :)

And, let's try some brainstorming. How can we cook up ways of doing this with reasonably cost? What alternatives are they? Come now, let's try to everything other than it can't be done! :) We'll see what we get.
 #71130  by Rashidas

Its unlikely new subways will be built or extended into eastern Queens, short of a mass movement of Queens residents. However more transit service is required there. As a former resident, I understand the time wasted waiting for buses to take you to Main or 179th Streets. Perhaps some sort of light rail or elevated busway could fill this need.

Regular subway tracks and service makes sense for crowded urban areas. However much of eastern Queens is single or 2 family houses, although it to is filling up with people. Since Queens streets are full of traffic separate rights of way are essential to prevent traffic tie-ups. Perhaps elevated lanes for the exclusive use of buses would allow buses to reach 179th Street and Main Street (and Liberty Avenue to) at a much lower cost than conventional heavy rail/subway could do. They also are more flexible. What do you guys think?