Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#891234  by 3rdrail

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Remember the 1993 bomb plot that targeted the WTC, also targeted the Holland and Lincoln Tunnels, GW Bridge and PATH tunnels. The PANYNJ was the clear target.
The 2001 attack was supposed to have flooded PATH, MTA, and most of lower Manhattan. The slurry walls held and foiled that idea.
 #891951  by HBLR

The crane is still doing its thing. I think theymay be layering the pads, with one partly over top the other directly over the tube. It seems they are doing the newark bound side first also, based on where the crane barge is located.
 #905868  by HBLR

It seems the floating crane has moved to the uptown tubes. This should take less time as the tubes are parallel bank to bank. Anyone have any information about the composition/makeup of the blankets they are using?
 #905899  by 3rdrail

Do you really think that that kind of specific defensive information should be bandied about on a public forum ?
 #905902  by OportRailfan

3rdrail wrote:Do you really think that that kind of specific defensive information should be bandied about on a public forum ?
Second what 3rdrail said. Why would you want to know?
 #906206  by HBLR

As i understand it, this is for protection against currents excavating the tunnels from the river sediment, and anchors etc. Why do i want to know? Hm maybe because i'm a human & have curiosity, the same reason for my interest in trains and rail operations, and life in general?
 #906230  by 3rdrail

HBLR wrote:I'll feel way safer when the project is complete!
Good answer ! Here's a tip: Gain a little curiosity regarding this life phenomenon - C o m m o n S e n s e.
 #906392  by HBLR

Excuse me.. I wasn't aware that guarding against sediment shifts was such top secret sensitive information.
 #914674  by HBLR

So, i rode around the WTC loop from exchange place yesterday because i didn't feel like waiting to board. The south tube has a lot of that steel plating from the bench wall to about half way to the top, i'd say a good 1/3 to 1/2 of the tunnel has the lining. On the NJ bound side much less of the plating is in place, but it's still probably a good few hundred feet. I am guessing they are working weekends due to the hoboken-wtc trains not running. It looks like pretty serious stuff. I wonder when they will be finished. I am going to try and ride the uptown tubes and see what's going on there when i get the chance.
 #916572  by HBLR

So I took another look this am. Got to see them do a reverse move from nj while I was waiting at wtc. It looks like they are making rapid progress, still no chance to ride the uptown tubes.