Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#854686  by railfan365

3rdrail wrote:It comes from "NAPO", the National Association of Police Organizations (Executive Director William Johnson (2002)), "Top Cops" TV show (Executive Producer (and former NYPD Officer Sonny Grosso), and spokesperson/emcee John Walsh of "America's Most Wanted" at their 9/11/02 awards ceremony at the City Center, 130 W.56th St. NYC. I was privileged to be in attendance, heard the late James Earl Jones in his best "Darth Vader" voice welcome Officer Delgado onto the stage where she was ceremoniously decorated following a video presentation by America's Most Wanted detailing her heroism, along with eighteen seperate other "top cops" for their acts of heroism, with a Special Presentation to honor the September 11, 200l responders.
My quibble with this story has nothing to do with railroading - but it should be noted that James Earl Jones is NOT late. At least not yet - he's still alive.
 #854704  by 3rdrail

Thank you for correcting me, railfan365. I am very glad that Mr. Jones is still with us. He has a commanding presence and I can say that few are as impressive as he vocally.
 #854711  by railfan365

3rdrail wrote:Thank you for correcting me, railfan365. I am very glad that Mr. Jones is still with us. He has a commanding presence and I can say that few are as impressive as he vocally.
On a final note in this subject - I'll share that I shared an elevator ride with Mr. Jones, about 25 years ago - and his presence is just as impressive up close as it is in a public forum.
 #854981  by 3rdrail

Here is a moving photograph that RR.Net members might be interested in that I took during the NAPO/Top Cops ceremony.
A United States flag was miraculously recovered in the debris three days after the attack on 9/14/01 by National Guard soldiers who were going to have it destroyed in militiary fashion. Port Authority Police heard about the flag and demanded and received it as a memorial to their officers who were murdered on 9/11/01. It has since been carefully protected and brought out for only very special occasions after it's long duty of being presented at WTC police funerals.
Here she is- Old Glory. Banged up and tattered, but a miracle to come out recognizable amidst shredded heavy metal. Seen on the far right is Mr. Jones. When this was displayed, there wasn't a dry eye in the house. Never forget.
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa26 ... ds02-2.jpg
 #872927  by keithsy

The only reverse move is when making a cut. A train can never make a full-fledged reverse move. It would have an adverse effect on the signals.
 #872953  by Kamen Rider

Unless the signals are set up to allow it. You could back up from Metro all the way to Myrtle broadway if the road is clear.
 #873757  by RearOfSignal

I've been on trains running the "wrong way" on track signalled in one direction. From E180 Street to Dyre Ave.
 #873874  by Trainmaster5

RearOfSignal wrote:I've been on trains running the "wrong way" on track signalled in one direction. From E180 Street to Dyre Ave.
I've operated the Dyre #5 line for years. What you describe is a single track shuttle with one train on the entire line. A reverse move is something else entirely.