Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#848122  by RearOfSignal

Do conductors make reverse moves at all, or are T/O's required to change ends. Either in the yards or mainline.
 #848161  by Kamen Rider

RearOfSignal wrote:Do conductors make reverse moves at all, or are T/O's required to change ends. Either in the yards or mainline.
conductors are not issued reverser keys or brake handels. you can't move a train without them.
 #848167  by RearOfSignal

When I say reverse move I don't mean the cdr operating the train, but leading a reverse move (calling out signals, conditions ahead, etc) while the t/o is at the controls at the other end.
 #848270  by Trainmaster5

RearOfSignal wrote:When I say reverse move I don't mean the cdr operating the train, but leading a reverse move (calling out signals, conditions ahead, etc) while the t/o is at the controls at the other end.
Conductors were trained to read signals a quarter century ago. IDK if they still teach that nowadays but they'll never be put in that position today. That went by the wayside many years ago. You have some conductors who are qualified to make that move but it's been a no-no for years. The mantra is " wait for a TSS" these days.
 #848655  by Kamen Rider

Last time, as far as I 've been told, anything like that was tried on the subway was in 1970. A brooklyn bound mixed consit (R38, 40 and 42) GG devloped brake trouble. the front two cars were cut out and the TO had to operate from the third to try to get back to Jamacia yard, relying on relayed signals via flashlight from the CR and an RCI in front. with the front cars nothing more than deadweight, they were not triped when they passed the homeball protecting the crossover west of Roosevelt ave. The OOS GG T-boned another GG moving from express to local.

2 people died and 77 were hurt, and one R16 had to be scraped on site.
 #848974  by railfan365

Kamen Rider wrote:Last time, as far as I 've been told, anything like that was tried on the subway was in 1970. A brooklyn bound mixed consit (R38, 40 and 42) GG devloped brake trouble. the front two cars were cut out and the TO had to operate from the third to try to get back to Jamacia yard, relying on relayed signals via flashlight from the CR and an RCI in front. with the front cars nothing more than deadweight, they were not triped when they passed the homeball protecting the crossover west of Roosevelt ave. The OOS GG T-boned another GG moving from express to local.

2 people died and 77 were hurt, and one R16 had to be scraped on site.
I believe that the train that got hit was an EE. Other than that, we have the same understanding of the next biggest subway disaster after Malbone Street.
 #848992  by Kamen Rider

most of my sources say both trains were GGs, but that's semantics.
 #849507  by railfan365

Kamen Rider wrote:most of my sources say both trains were GGs, but that's semantics.
Exactly.
 #854524  by Head-end View

Kamen Rider, are you sure about it being a mixed consist? I don't ever recall seeing a train of R-38's, 40's, 42's, running together in one train. I don't think those types were ever run in mixed consists. That's something you would have noticed! :-D
 #854592  by 3rdrail

I know that at least one subway train was reversed at the time of the 2001 World Trade Center attack. Police Officer Miriam Delgado of the Stamford, Ct. Police Department was on a train heading to court on her day off. All of a sudden, the tunnel was filled with incredible smoke and an approaching fireball. Communication went out on the train. The last car was at a station platform which had no egress as it was locked and the area was rapidly filling with smoke. The officer suggested reversing the train to the conductor into the next station which, filled with a train load of terrified persons, did so successfully. Her actions saved everyone on board and she was awarded a medal of commendation for her heroism.
 #854597  by Trainmaster5

3rdrail wrote:I know that at least one subway train was reversed at the time of the 2001 World Trade Center attack. Police Officer Miriam Delgado of the Stamford, Ct. Police Department was on a train heading to court on her day off. All of a sudden, the tunnel was filled with incredible smoke and an approaching fireball. Communication went out on the train. The last car was at a station platform which had no egress as it was locked and the area was rapidly filling with smoke. The officer suggested reversing the train to the conductor into the next station which, filled with a train load of terrified persons, did so successfully. Her actions saved everyone on board and she was awarded a medal of commendation for her heroism.
I'd like to know where that information comes from. What train and what location ? I've never heard of that incident. None of the IRT supervisors have ever mentioned it and I know them well. My friend was on duty at Brooklyn Bridge station that morning and he's never said anything about it.
 #854599  by 3rdrail

It comes from "NAPO", the National Association of Police Organizations (Executive Director William Johnson (2002)), "Top Cops" TV show (Executive Producer (and former NYPD Officer Sonny Grosso), and spokesperson/emcee John Walsh of "America's Most Wanted" at their 9/11/02 awards ceremony at the City Center, 130 W.56th St. NYC. I was privileged to be in attendance, heard the late James Earl Jones in his best "Darth Vader" voice welcome Officer Delgado onto the stage where she was ceremoniously decorated following a video presentation by America's Most Wanted detailing her heroism, along with eighteen seperate other "top cops" for their acts of heroism, with a Special Presentation to honor the September 11, 200l responders.
 #854603  by Trainmaster5

3rdrail wrote:It comes from "NAPO", the National Association of Police Organizations (Executive Director William Johnson (2002)), "Top Cops" TV show (Executive Producer (and former NYPD Officer Sonny Grosso), and spokesperson/emcee John Walsh of "America's Most Wanted" at their 9/11/02 awards ceremony at the City Center, 130 W.56th St. NYC. I was privileged to be in attendance, heard the late James Earl Jones in his best "Darth Vader" voice welcome Officer Delgado onto the stage where she was ceremoniously decorated following a video presentation by America's Most Wanted detailing her heroism, along with eighteen seperate other "top cops" for their acts of heroism, with a Special Presentation to honor the September 11, 200l responders.
I don't doubt the officer was the recipient of the award. I'm questioning the part about a C/R making any sort of reverse move that day. The C/R on a NYCT train is not equipped to move a train in any direction. If a train does make a reverse move its done by the T/O in conjunction with the Control Center. If there was a situation with imminent danger I,as the T/O, am equipped to make such a move but the C/R has as much to do with it as any passenger does. Are we talking about a NYC Transit train or a PATH train ?