Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#843705  by BobLI

It appears to me that the A line has the most atmosphere of all the stations of a commuter railroad.
In the early AM I see a train pull in, car cleaners go about the work of checking and cleaning cars. On the other track the conductor has 1 door open on each car on the train thats going to depart. A bell rings, the doors open and then close and off we go. It just seems like its not like a rapid transit operation, more like a commuter line last stop but with more volume of trains.
 #843810  by Head-end View

Hmmm......ghosts of the previous owner, the LIRR? Remember prior to 1956, the Rockaway Lines were owned and operated by LIRR as part of that commuter railroad.
 #843958  by darthdoosh

BobLI wrote:It appears to me that the A line has the most atmosphere of all the stations of a commuter railroad.
In the early AM I see a train pull in, car cleaners go about the work of checking and cleaning cars. On the other track the conductor has 1 door open on each car on the train thats going to depart. A bell rings, the doors open and then close and off we go. It just seems like its not like a rapid transit operation, more like a commuter line last stop but with more volume of trains.
Unless things have changed in the past couple months, that's the way it is when the Brooklyn-bound G sits in Court Square waiting to depart, as well.
 #844174  by Robert Paniagua

BobLI wrote:It appears to me that the A line has the most atmosphere of all the stations of a commuter railroad.
They clean the trains at the "last stop" points at all times of day/night, and the other termini procedures are also done at all terminals (eg) Coney Island, Ditmars Blvd, 207th Street (A) and so on....