Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#886510  by Fan Railer

Head-end View wrote:I guess they want 10 more cars................What's your question?

BTW, has anyone ridden the system in the last week or two? Anyone been able to catch an old train, or are we now past the point of no return?
my question is that this was back in august...and nothing was mentioned then.....
 #887726  by OportRailfan

PONYA wrote:As of January 2011, 250 new PA-5 cars have been delivered.
...thus most of the old fleet is gone.
 #889238  by Head-end View

Took another ride myself yesterday. WTC-NWK and back. I was lucky enough to catch the one old train that was running on that route and rode it the round trip. I hope it wasn't my last front window ride on PATH. I also saw one old train on the WTC-HOB route.
 #890222  by oknazevad

Query about these "old trains". Which series cars? PA4s, or a mix? Sadly, I haven't been near PATH in a while.
 #890270  by OportRailfan

Coming into Newark yesterday, there were nothing but PA5's in the South St. yard.

I know they're going to keep some of the older stuff for work trains
 #890414  by oknazevad

Head-end View wrote:The old trains are usually a mix of PA-1,2,3,4 cars. They were all compatible, and any can be on the head-end.
That's what I find interesting. I would have thought/vaguely remember reading somewhere that they were going to retire the PA-4s last, just because they were newer and in better shape (plus still have three doors on a side).

Oh well, seems like they may have just pulled entire trains out as new cars came in. Wonder if it's because they were literally using the same trucks, and they'd hoist onto it whatever the physically closest cars were.

In all my time, I've never seen a solid set of PA-4s. I was kinda hoping to see that before they went.
 #891109  by HBLR

I have been on several non-peak older equipment trains on all the different lines in the past month. The older equipment is far from totally gone, i even got a ride in a 2 door 100 series car the other day, was a trailer non-cab car last week.
 #893730  by Kurt

Caught this unknown pair at the Kawasaki Plant in Yonkers, NY today 01/24/11. There looked to be about 6 to 10 cars around the Kawasaki plant area. I was unable to spot any numbers though
Attachments:
trains 012411 (2).JPG
trains 012411 (2).JPG (54.88 KiB) Viewed 2450 times
 #895800  by HBLR

There continues to be much older equipment in service, but it is in the minority, i'd say there is an overlap of cars needed vs cars in service by about 70 or so, or about 10 7 car trains. Most of those are 3 door older models, but there are the 2 door cars left, probably the ones in the best shape, or just happen to be not accessible as easily due to them being in a train not due for the yard in harrison to remove. I would estimate that by march the 2 door cars will be gone, aside maybe a few for preservation.