Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#528018  by trackguy

Any idea when is the new PA 5 will be running in the PATH system?

#528068  by ascotell

They should have a test set around November or December and if that passes they will start recieving more.

#530479  by el jefe de la renfe

Folks with sharp eyes may see the first test train hit Port Newark in about 5-6 weeks. It'll take some time before test runs begin, but it won't be long now.
 #537355  by kdjohnson

el jefe de la renfe wrote:Folks with sharp eyes may see the first test train hit Port Newark in about 5-6 weeks. It'll take some time before test runs begin, but it won't be long now.
Port Newark?? I thought that these cars were either going to be built in Yonkers, NY or Lincoln, NE Plant (Kawasaki Plants in USA). Ironically enough, I read on the Kawasaki rail car website that the Yonkers plant had the PA-4 as its inaugural order.

Ken
 #548046  by trackguy

I saw at least 7 new PA 5 PATH cars the other day from Harrison Yard... the body and trucks were separated... i guess they will be worked on in the Car Shop to put them together... seems like it's going to be a lot of work...
 #562965  by trackguy

4 New Car spotted at Grove St. Station on Saturday night... first one is numbered 5601...
 #563150  by Raritan Express

Was this revenue service?
 #563359  by jlr3266

You can see the clearance testing apparatus on the front of the car as it is pulling in to the station. Their may a few extra riders, but a clearance run woud not be a revenue service train.
 #563931  by OportRailfan

Definitely not a revenue train....right now there are 2 consists of 4 cars in testing...I saw that consist with the clearance things on it this morning sitting in the Harrison Maintenance Facility

They are expecting, on their current schedule, to start phasing the PA-5's, March 2009.

OHHHH, and gentlemen...get your shots of the tubes in now, no more railfan window...i have proof...full-width cab.
 #564028  by Head-end View

Oport, what proof do you supposedly have about the full-width cabs? This subject was already discussed at length, and supposedly knowledgable people have said the PA intends to run them as corner cabs. Do you have some new, reliable info?
 #564029  by OportRailfan

ok...well i guess i'm not certain about that, but from what I saw on the mock up cab, it was full width...now if they are changing that and not going with what the mock up has...then that's above me lol...i'm just a peon

...i just thought tho, still if it's not full width cab...you'll only be able to look out the door window, if you're lucky
 #564032  by OportRailfan

here's a picture of the mock-up cab that I was able to get this morning...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/f ... 300769.jpg

the conductor's operating panel is opposite this corner cab...but there is a door in front of it, and a wall, with one seat

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/f ... 300771.jpg

...and here's the rest of the car filled with people lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/f ... 300772.jpg
 #564374  by Head-end View

Oport, let me clarify this cab-design question. In earlier threads we were informed that the new cars will have "convertible" cabs, like some NYC subway trains have. They can be set up as either full-width or corner cabs. And a PA official was quoted as telling a media reporter that the PA does intend to run them as corner cabs. Of course that may have been correct at the time it was said, but the PA could change their minds later. We'll just have to wait and see how it all evolves, when they go into service. But you're right, we'll only have that cab storm-door window, not a left-side railfan window like the old cars. :(
 #564375  by OportRailfan

as always, only time will tell...at least we'll still have the center-door window hopefully