Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#992945  by keyboardkat

Now, that's interesting! Incidentally, notice in the picture of the motorman's cab on the last page of the article, the master controller handle is on the right, and the brake valve is on the left? My father told me about this when I was a kid, but I never actually saw it. It must have been confusing for train operators to run these cars, and then switch to the more standard arrangement. I wonder what the idea of this was.
 #992967  by Fan Railer

keithsy wrote:The R46's 700+ operated with wayside signal-regulated, where if the m/m backed off within running positions the brakes would apply slowing down the train. The first time that I rode car 700 on the point, it was pulling an N train on B'way at 68 mph! Sometimes, there would a red "CAB SIGNAL RULE 37N warning, but that had no effect on the operation, but it was fun. Cab siganlling would have been safer than ABS, but their were those who did not want it for fer of loss of jobs and just plain being backward.
Yea... there is NO point anywhere on the broadway line that would allow for anything past 45 mph max. if anywhere, you must be referring to the queensbound 60th street tunnel, which is north and west on the same stretch of trackage as broadway. nowadays, cars reach 55-60 mph down the tubes, so it wouldn't surprise me that in the past, before they removed the field shunting, trains regularly traveled faster than 60 in that section of track.