Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#793262  by JCGUY

Last week, during the mormning rush, I took a PATH train on the JSQ-33 line. The train got to Newport at around 7:40 or so, and after beginning its departure from Newport, apparently conked out. Passengers were directed to leave the train and wait for the next one to continue on across the state line. The first car was docked beyond the plaform, requiring all the passengers in that car to squeeze into the second car and get on to the Newport platform. Fun stuff. We were all filled with dread at the prospect of squeezing on the 90% full train that was undoubtedly "right behind" our train.

I am NOT going to ask:

- why a train that is 'out of service' can nonetheless continue on the single track line, presumably all the way to 33rd where it will turn around. That's an odd kind of out of service.

- why these trains break down so much. I never see this on MTA trains. Heck, I never saw this on CTA trains, and they are a holy mess.

- why is it taking so long for the PA to turn over the fleet of cars.

I won't ask these questions because, lo and behold, an EMPTY train pulled into Newport to deliver the full trainload of commuters to Patersonville. Saved the morning commute for us, no doubt. It was a PA-5 no less. Here's my question: where did that train come from? It certainly wasn't right behind our train all the way from JSQ. Does the PA keep a train at Hoboken or WTC for this type of contingency, and if so, how was it able to get in place and so quickly?
 #793630  by mrsam

There's no place to store an idle protect train, either at Hoboken or WTC, and especially during the rush hours.

It's unlikely that your rescue train came from Hoboken. To arrive at the 33rd-bound track at Newport from Hoboken, it'll have to go all the way to WTC and come around.

My bet is that your rescue train was a regular inbound train that arrived at WTC, discharged the passengers, and then ran empty to Newport. During the morning rush WTC gets a train every 2-3 minutes, so they probably took the next one in, and ran it light to Newport. I think that's probably the closest place an empty train could be procured, in some fashion, on a short notice.

And this wouldn't be the first time PATH quickly dispatched an empty rescue train. It happened to me not once but twice, in the last month or so. Yes, they seem to break down often, these days, but, I guess someone's always quick on their feet, for arranging an ad-hoc rescue. A couple of weeks ago, during the morning rush, I was on a train from Newark to WTC that went out of service at Exchange. We started having door problems at Journal, and at Exchange they finally threw in the towel and kicked everyone off.

A full, rush hour train load thus assembled on the platform, with some people deciding that their vocal complaints would help resolve the situation. The discharged train slowly limped out of the station, towards WTC and fate unknown. Then, immediately following it, the next three trains came through Exchange Place without stopping. They could not've helped anyway. They were themselves packed with rush hour commuters (with those amongst them headed to Exchange now taking a ride through WTC). Trying to pile in would've delayed everyone, and most likely would've broke a few more doors to boot. So, they just came through without stopping, with just a pair of sympathy honks, as quickly as they could. The fourth train, after the first three packed ones, was empty of passengers. Everyone quickly got in, and off we went towards WTC. I figure that as soon as we were out of service, they sent an empty rescue train from the JSQ yard or Hoboken, and everyone in front of it was broomed out of the way, until it got to Exchange. I don't think we were delayed much more than 8-10 minutes.
 #793654  by TREnecNYP

What they do is stop service on another line for a few minutes to let a rescue train come through the tunnel on the other track, switch over in transit. The train likely came from the storage area in journal square, they can store a lot of cars there, try going from nwk to exp some time on a weekend you'll see what i mean. The system has its limitations but there are options. It could have also been laid up at wtc.

- A
 #793674  by lostsoul

Depending on the time of day they do have trains laid up at wtc for the overnight and the weekend.I took the 1126pm out of hoboken to wtc wednesday and the conductor put everyone in the head car then they platformed the one car at newport and then the exit at exchange place because when we got to wtc they laid up behind a train on 5 track
 #794557  by Terry Kennedy

JCGUY wrote:I am NOT going to ask:

- why a train that is 'out of service' can nonetheless continue on the single track line, presumably all the way to 33rd where it will turn around. That's an odd kind of out of service.
Given the circumstances you describe, it probably went to Hoboken and then relayed back to the yard. That's a lot fewer stops than going to 33rd.

If you're asking why a train that can still move properly is out of service, it could be a number of things - most likely a problem with the doors. If it takes an extra 2 minutes per station to get the doors shut and indication, then it'll completely mess up the morning commute w/ 10 minute delays, just getting to 33rd. I've also seen trains go OOS for things like heat/AC failure, wheel flatspots, and so forth, but those won't normally cause the crew to empty a train - it would likely have gone to 33rd, discharged passengers, and run empty back to the yard. We can probably eliminate a problem with the propulsion motors / controls as you indicate the train left at normal speed. If (for example) the controls in the first car went out, requiring operation from the 2nd or 3rd car (or even further back if #2 and #3 were both 100-series), you would have seen something more exciting. I'd call it something else, but this is a family forum...
- why these trains break down so much. I never see this on MTA trains. Heck, I never saw this on CTA trains, and they are a holy mess.
You may have noticed that the MTA replaced most of their (quite a bit larger) fleet in the last few years. According to this RailwayAge article, the MDBF (mean distance between failures) for the newest NYC Transit cars (R-160x) is 1.2 million miles. Contrast that with the MDBF of the R-32's (delivery started in 1964, similar to the first of the PA-series PATH cars). The R-32's have been hovering around 100,000 miles for some years now - less than 8% of the newer cars that replaced them. Those cars are now almost all retired and scrapped. The actual numbers for 2008 and 2009 are 92,685 and 54,191 miles. I suspect the huge drop in 2009 was because everybody knew the cars were going to the scrappers that year and thus there was no point to either major repairs or preventative maintenance.
- why is it taking so long for the PA to turn over the fleet of cars.
Only the PA knows, and they aren't telling. Given that they have the money to pay for them, it is either a manufacturer delay in delivering cars or a PA-imposed delay on deliveries due to problems with the first ones. On any custom or semi-custom car, there are always issues with the first few cars which result in design or manufacturing changes for the rest of the order. My experience riding the new cars has generally not been positive - I've had cars which don't have working climate control and cars that mis-announce stations. One car regularly pulls into 23rd St. and announces "This..This..This is 33rd Street" (like Max Headroom). The automated announcement system also isn't set up to deal with the way PATH operates at their stub terminals (33rd and Hoboken). There isn't a "Last Stop" announcement or display, and it also doesn't announce its new destination until the crew changes ends.
I won't ask these questions because, lo and behold, an EMPTY train pulled into Newport to deliver the full trainload of commuters to Patersonville. Saved the morning commute for us, no doubt. It was a PA-5 no less. Here's my question: where did that train come from? It certainly wasn't right behind our train all the way from JSQ. Does the PA keep a train at Hoboken or WTC for this type of contingency, and if so, how was it able to get in place and so quickly?
I expect it was a Hoboken->WTC train that was run light from WTC to Newport for you. If it was sitting at WTC, it is a little less than 4:30 to Newport (3:05 to Exchange + 1:20 to Newport, assuming no door operation and no competing traffic). It could then run back to Hoboken as a 33rd-Hoboken train and then go back into Hoboken/WTC service.
lostsoul wrote:Depending on the time of day they do have trains laid up at wtc for the overnight and the weekend.I took the 1126pm out of hoboken to wtc wednesday and the conductor put everyone in the head car then they platformed the one car at newport and then the exit at exchange place because when we got to wtc they laid up behind a train on 5 track
I've also been on trains that have platformed only one door at Journal Square (diverging from track 4 at the east end of the platform for a layup).

Track 1 was the traditional long layup track at WTC, even into the daytime. One of 2 or 3 were used off-hours to lay up trains, as well as one of 4 or 5. But given that 1 has been pulled up and 2 is inaccessible, that makes things more difficult. Weekend WTC service (which is horrible, by the way) tends to use 3 only, which is now a half-width platform, while they mangle 4 and 5.

The original WTC rebuilding plan had 6 tracks, as seen on the board when it was temporarily located in the Exchange Place station:

Of course, in the old days it was a lot worse - the Hoboken elevator could only move one car at a time (you can still see the carcass off the end of Track 3). And the Henderson yard was a miracle of spatial economy - plus, the only way to get into it was to run reverse through Grove St:

Question for the management: when did this board start enforcing an 800-pixel limit? I've inlined both of these images in previous posts on this forum.
 #813602  by Terry Kennedy

ElliotCourtney wrote:What is the "hoboken elevator"?
It is (was) a single-car lift just outside the Hoboken station. Before the H&M system expanded to surface operation (Summit / Journal Square), it was the only way to get cars in and out of the H&M system.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, it is just past platform 3 in Hoboken (back in the tunnel). It is reasonably well-lit so you can see it. It should come up near / in the triangular brick building (west of the bus terminal). There's a brief description of it in Railway Age, excerpted and available here (halfway down the page).