Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#785451  by railfan365

So instead of discontinuing the M line and extending the V to replace the part between Essex Street and Metropolitan Avenue, discontinue the V and have the M replace the V instead of travelling south of Essex Street.

That sounds a bit stupid to me - keeping the service change the same, but mollifying people by changing what it's called.
 #785836  by Paul1705

I assume the R-46s now on the V will have to go elsewhere, as I don't think 75-foot cars will fit any where on what was the BMT Eastern Division. With the closure of the W line, however, there should be a surplus of B division cars, and there should be enough R-160s to go around.
 #785940  by M&Eman

This change in nomenclature adds expenses because they need all-new rollsigns with orange Ms now. The way they originally did it, no letter would change color.
 #787082  by Head-end View

Kamen, you might be right, but I think they should have kept the larger color-coded car-end signs. (Maybe an electronic version) They were much clearer than the new small red signs, which defeat the whole purpose of having color coded routes. :(
 #787129  by oknazevad

Head-end View wrote:Kamen, you might be right, but I think they should have kept the larger color-coded car-end signs. (Maybe an electronic version) They were much clearer than the new small red signs, which defeat the whole purpose of having color coded routes. :(
Absolutely. The all red LEDs are too small to be effectively seen at a distance, and all routes wind up looking alike.
 #787502  by Allan

Dylanchris73 wrote:So what would be the new M route?

The M would travel as normal from Metropolitan Avenue to Essex Street, then divert via the Christie Street Connection and connect with the northbound F line track just south of Broadway-Lafayette. It would then continue up the F line and follow the current V line via the 53rd St tunnel (stopping at 5th Avenue and Lexington Avenue) to the Queens Blvd line and terminate at 71st St-Forest Hills.
 #787943  by Aces

I think that they are still eliminating the M from Bay Parkway into lower Manhattan which means more riders for the already overcrowded D trains. The D is frequently standing room only on week nights and weekend nights.
 #789170  by RWERN

Aces wrote:I think that they are still eliminating the M from Bay Parkway into lower Manhattan which means more riders for the already overcrowded D trains. The D is frequently standing room only on week nights and weekend nights.
Perhaps they will consider shifting the J or Z to fill that role.
 #789181  by Kamen Rider

the whole point was to save money. extending the J or Z will not save any money

Not saying I live the idea, but that it it's logical.