Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#757326  by transit man

When the H&M/PRR joint service to Park Place, Newark operated, did trains travel through Harrison on an elevated structure, embankment or street level? Remember this is before the 1937 reroute to Newark Penn Station.
 #758194  by Head-end View

Check out the book: The Hudson & Manhattan Railroad Revisited by Paul Carleton, published by D.Carleton Railbooks.

It describes (and there's a photo) the original elevated structure which I believe ran north of the current Harrison Station across the river on a bridge that's long since gone and into the Park Place Station. According to the book, that steel elevated structure only lasted 16 years from 1911 to 1937, when the current Newark Penn Station opened with the new alignment.
 #758409  by oknazevad

1911 to 1937 is 26 years.
 #758546  by Head-end View

Blame the book publisher. It's on page-22. The original H&M el structure was in service from 1911 thru 1937, a short lifespan of 16 years. And you're right; I'm terrible at math, which is why I didn't notice the book's error. Now pardon me while I check to verify that my head is screwed on forwards................ :-D