Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#757181  by Terry Kennedy

Given that I've asked people who should know what this stuff is, and haven't gotten any answers, not even "we can't talk about it"... I'll speculate here. I'm omitting the stuff that I know is security-related.

Over the past year or so, there have been a number of additions in the tunnels and stations. Some of the things I've observed are:

1) Several new coax antenna lines - usually 2 per track. Not all of the coax is installed at present - parts of the system just have the brackets. I could understand one new one for CBTC, though that usually works through the rails or retrofits of the signal casings. Perhaps this is for cell phone service?

2) Construction at the eastbound end of the eastbound Exchange Place platform. Looks like they may be installing a bulkhead door? No sign of work on the westbound platform yet.

3) Some sort of device at various places in the underwater tunnels. Up near the top at the left side (normal direction) of the tunnels. All that's visible is a LED that alternates rapidly between red and green.

4) A lot of the trackside fluorescent light fixtures have had small red indicator lights appear on the end. This usually indicates a battery backup system.

3 and 4 are quite recent - over time these indicators will become obscured by dust and grime.