Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#869707  by frank754

I had a chance to visit the SIRT last year (2009), took the ferry, but didn't leave St. George as it would have been a long wait for the boat back. I wandered the platform a bit and took some pictures, and the gentleman I met was actually quite kind, and didn't have any problems with me there. Got a picture of the motorman controls:
and St. George platform area:
Here are two from way back in 1971 with the original 1925-era Pressed Steel B&O cars at Tottenville:
 #869802  by andre

amazing shots of the old 1925 era cars, do you have more?
 #870058  by frank754

Those are the only 2 I took, back in those days I was a teen, and film was expensive. Wish they had digital cameras back then.
 #870084  by Head-end View

One of only 2 rides I have ever taken on SIR was on those old trains in their last years circa 1972. A round-trip from St.George to Tottenville. And you could see out the front........
 #888017  by Storknest

andre wrote:SIR did replace a lot of the old signals on the line, however checked today, still the B&O style aspects
Are they B&O style or actual B&O? I have always wondered especially if you go to Tompkinsville, there is one large signal there I figure is an authentic B&O signal, I think there are 1 or 2 others on the line like it. The others look the same but smaller and have the one light on top. I always wondered if the smaller lights were unique to SI.

I always liked the spot between Bay Terrace and Oakwood Heights where the bridge is that the never built highway was supposed to go under.
I also figure any of the pedestrian overpasses are good for above shots, places like Oakwood Heights, Great Kills, Annadale (I think has one) and Atlantic offhand.
 #888369  by andre

Storknest wrote:
andre wrote:SIR did replace a lot of the old signals on the line, however checked today, still the B&O style aspects
Are they B&O style or actual B&O? I have always wondered especially if you go to Tompkinsville, there is one large signal there I figure is an authentic B&O signal, I think there are 1 or 2 others on the line like it. The others look the same but smaller and have the one light on top. I always wondered if the smaller lights were unique to SI.

I always liked the spot between Bay Terrace and Oakwood Heights where the bridge is that the never built highway was supposed to go under.
I also figure any of the pedestrian overpasses are good for above shots, places like Oakwood Heights, Great Kills, Annadale (I think has one) and Atlantic offhand.

by "authentic B&O do you mean signals that were installed by the B&O?
also the B&O style is just meaning the same rules/system and aspects that were established by the B&O but simply carried over after the transition to SIRTOA operation in the 70s (no need to reinvent the wheel)
 #890040  by Storknest

andre wrote:
Storknest wrote:

by "authentic B&O do you mean signals that were installed by the B&O?
also the B&O style is just meaning the same rules/system and aspects that were established by the B&O but simply carried over after the transition to SIRTOA operation in the 70s (no need to reinvent the wheel)
What I mean about Authentic B&O signals I guess is exactly that, I see them mostly between Clifton and Tomkinsville.
Like this.
http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?77028
http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?77030
And on the gantry here
http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?109976

Now I have also noticed a second signal, it looks similar to the B&O but is smaller, about a third around, and the white light on top is actually part of the main signal. This same signal I have seen as dwarfs, on masts and on the gantry in Great Kills seen from the public parking lot. I cannot find pictures anywhere currently and anytime I take photos, I get questioned.

Tompkinsville was the easiest place to see the difference last I knew, there was a large signal I figure to be a B&O and smaller ones also so you can compare them.

I have read they are doing some type of signal upgrade so I figure these smaller ones are a modern design using the B&O signaling, just a smaller head.

I have also noticed about 3-4 different switchstands so far on the line also.