Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#743944  by kitn1mcc

i was in BK this weekend got on the L at the bedford station. i was looking around as normal. i noticed next to the tracks was a yellow handle sticking up. there was a signal there as well. when the train got closer the handle went down. but the signal stayed red. whats that handle thingy do
 #744234  by railfaned

While I've always understood the trip arm operation, I could never understand how on the 7 line, the use of the signal hoop that the motorman would put on the head-end of the train in the 60's - 70's. I remember them being used on the R-12's, R15's and R-36's. Can anyone explain how the hoop worked. I remember seeing yellow trips hanging on the signals, but it always seemed that it wouldn't contact the hoops, without hitting the front of the train???
 #746838  by Patrick Boylan

Kamen Rider, my dad had told me the Identra hoop was a passive sonar reflector. His explanation didn't make much sense to me since I thought there'd be too much noise in the subway for sonar to be effective.
I also am not sure your magnet explanation works. Wouldn't whatever magnetic device reads the hoop have to be extremely close, or extremely powerful?
A bit of google searching seems to say that it's a radio or radar reflector, which kind of makes more sense.