Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#735286  by M&Eman

Whenever I am in the city and have to use the subway multiple times, I wind up paying a ridiculous amount of money due to the flat charge no matter the distance. A short hop from West 4th to Penn Station costs the same as a ride all the way out to the Rockaways. Other transit systems have a day pass available for the cost of 3-5 one-way trips that allow unlimited subway usage in a 24 hour period. This would make using the subway as much as possible in New York much more economical.
 #735305  by oknazevad

They do.

1-Day Fun Pass
Cost: $8.25, reduced fare not available
Good for unlimited subway and local bus rides from first use until 3 a.m. the following day. Sold at MetroCard Vending Machines and at neighborhood stores. Not available at station booths.
http://www.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm#unlimited

I believe it's under the unlimited ride options on a standard MetroCard vending machine. "Standard" does not include PATH machines, as PATH doesn't accept any unlimited ride cards.
 #735438  by Kamen Rider

We've had "fun pass" for 10 years, I'm very surpised he's never heard of it.
 #735809  by R36 Combine Coach

One note about the unlimited MetroCards is that they cannot be shared as there is an 18 minute "lockout" between use at stations or on the same bus route.
 #736008  by djlong

I've used those day passes every time we've come down to NYC from NH. Very convenient. The most inconvenient aspect was that the vending machine only let me buy one at a time and we were a party of 5 so I had to do 5 individual transactions.
 #736051  by ExCon90

When I traveled fairly often from Philadelphia to NY I always bought a FunPass at Hudson News in Penn Station last thing before catching my train home. I kept it in my wallet, and on my next trip to NY I could breeze through the turnstile without standing in line. I think at the time the pass was good for a year until first use.
 #736070  by MACTRAXX

R36: I will clarify that there is an 18 minute lockout at the SAME subway station.
If you go on a bus or to another subway station sooner your card should work fine.
As mentioned it is not valid on the SAME bus route for an 18 minute period.
I am currently carrying an Unlimited card at this time.

Ex Con 90: When you purchase an Unlimited you must use it before the date of expiration on the card.
If you let it expire it can be turned in for credit towards a replacement.
The date of expiration averages one year depending on the retailer and the stock they sell.

The BIG difference is with Pay-Per-Ride Metrocards you have ONE YEAR AFTER THE EXPIRATION DATE
to transfer any monetary balance onto a new replacement card.
Example: If the card reads "EXPIRES 10/31/10" You have until 10/31/11 for a balance transfer.
After one year expired it must be mailed in to the MTA for any credit due.
This transfer can easily be done at a MVM using the "refill" option or by a booth clerk.

I will also mention that the 7-day pass is perhaps the best option over the cost of single-day cards.
One $27 price vs. multiple $8.25 cards...do a little math and save!!!
MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #736151  by fishmech

Mactraxx:
Are you saying I can buy a set of 1-day Unlimited MetroCards, and keep them for a few weeks before using one, and they'll all still work? The wording on the machines make it seem like they are activated at purchase and expire at 3 AM the following day from purchase.

I tend to head up to NYC every week or two weeks and not having to buy a card every time and instead buying a bunch at once would be rather helpful
 #736245  by MACTRAXX

FM: Yes-when you purchase your one-day Unlimited Metrocards look at the date on the back-you have until then to use that card.
The cards are activated for that date or period on its first use-entering the subway or on a bus NOT when they are purchased.
Get a receipt as a second proof of payment also. Also remember that one day Metrocards are valid until 3am of the following day.
7-day and 30-day Unlimited's expire at midnight of the 7th or 30th day of their use. Tips by MACTRAXX
 #736917  by Aces

"it is not valid on the SAME bus route for an 18 minute period"

Correct! They got me on this after I bailed an overcrowded B41 and hopped on the next one. The driver was very nice and waived me through though.
 #737033  by Allan

fishmech wrote:Mactraxx:
Are you saying I can buy a set of 1-day Unlimited MetroCards, and keep them for a few weeks before using one, and they'll all still work? The wording on the machines make it seem like they are activated at purchase and expire at 3 AM the following day from purchase.

I tend to head up to NYC every week or two weeks and not having to buy a card every time and instead buying a bunch at once would be rather helpful
When you purchase them from the vending machines and are paying by credit/debit/MTA card you should be aware that there is a limit of 2 transactions per card type per day.

If you find yourself near Grand Central Terminal, you can purchase the 1 day FunPass (no one calls them 1 day unlimited) at the NY Transit Museum store. You can buy as many as you want there.
 #737081  by MACTRAXX

Allan:...And also they come wrapped-possibly eliminating the problem of using the wrong card when you have more than one in your possession...MACTRAXX
 #737226  by djlong

Is that a new restriction?

I've bought as many as 5 Fun Passes (almost 3 years ago) at once (after having a problem with my debit card, I put them on a credit card). Last year I bought 3 at once on my debit card.
 #752027  by nomis

The "purchase multiple" rule was non-existent two weeks ago (Dec 13) when I purchased (4) FunPasses from the same TVM within about 4 mins all on the same CC. I hated that there is not an increase qty option.
 #922827  by keithsy

M&Eman wrote:Whenever I am in the city and have to use the subway multiple times, I wind up paying a ridiculous amount of money due to the flat charge no matter the distance. A short hop from West 4th to Penn Station costs the same as a ride all the way out to the Rockaways. Other transit systems have a day pass available for the cost of 3-5 one-way trips that allow unlimited subway usage in a 24 hour period. This would make using the subway as much as possible in New York much more economical.
You have Mr. Walder and the likes of him who do not want people to have nice things like those in other cities. We could have had these things and more. A former revenue director exerted his influence against eliminating two fare zones and weekend discounts, etc.