Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#707280  by Otto Vondrak

So after NYCDOT rips out the tracks, and Bob Diamond and the BHRA is evicted from their "carhouse," now they think trolleys are a good idea??
August 18, 2009
Resurrecting Red Hook's Trolley Tracks
There's been some talk in recent years about the possibility of creating trolley lines to service areas of Brooklyn and Queens that are hard to access by public transportation, but now the idea is officially on the table. According to NY1, at a campaign event earlier this month, Mayor Bloomberg said that he is interested in trolley service, and his team is currently investigating the feasibility of using the city's old trolley tracks, starting in Red Hook.
http://www.brownstoner.com/brownstoner/ ... ing_re.php

Mayor Michael Bloomberg signaled his interest in bringing back streetcar service in growing waterfront areas like Red Hook at a campaign event Monday, and the president of the Brooklyn Historic Railway Association says he couldn't be more thrilled. NY1 Transit reporter Bobby Cuza filed the following report. There was a time not long ago when it seemed Brooklyn trolleys might enjoy a revival. Under the leadership of Bob Diamond, president of the Brooklyn Historic Railway Association, track was laid, and some cars even made short demonstration runs along the Red Hook waterfront. But then the city pulled the plug on the project, and the trolley cars have sat dormant ever since. Only now, the mayor wants to give trolleys another look. "I'm just completely thrilled that Mayor Michael Bloomberg has realized the merits of the trolley project," Diamond said.
http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/ ... fault.aspx
 #708053  by JoeRailRoad

Otto Vondrak wrote:So after NYCDOT rips out the tracks, and Bob Diamond and the BHRA is evicted from their "carhouse," now they think trolleys are a good idea??
August 18, 2009
Resurrecting Red Hook's Trolley Tracks
There's been some talk in recent years about the possibility of creating trolley lines to service areas of Brooklyn and Queens that are hard to access by public transportation, but now the idea is officially on the table. According to NY1, at a campaign event earlier this month, Mayor Bloomberg said that he is interested in trolley service, and his team is currently investigating the feasibility of using the city's old trolley tracks, starting in Red Hook.
http://www.brownstoner.com/brownstoner/ ... ing_re.php

There are views of these tracks in the opening scenes of this movie:
"Gigantic" staring Zooey DeSchanel & John Goodman.

Joe
 #708110  by pennsy

Are you telling us that there are still trolley tracks in Brooklyn that haven't been paved over or removed ? And as for the trolley wires, even the poles were removed. They would have to start from scratch, as they did in the Los Angeles area.
 #708192  by arrow

RailBus63 wrote:Bloomberg is running for re-election, so I wouldn't get too excited - I'll believe this project is back on track once real dollars are being committed and spent.
I couldn't agree more - typical election promises.
 #708716  by railfan365

My 2 cents worth is this - on the one hand, we finally have a 2nd Avenue Subway being built, even though it is taking too long and we might not see the whole thing when the present work will be done. We also have the Queensboro IRT being extended in Manahttan, and the ESA project, and there's the AirTrain to Idlewild Airport. On the other hand, the elevated part of the Highline is being turned into a park instead of being restored to use as a railroad, and other proposed projects have fallen by the wayside. On the whole, I'd be very suprised to see trolley service actually revived in this city. (Pleasantly suprised at that - but I really don't expect it to actually be accomplished).
 #712839  by Otto Vondrak

pennsy wrote:Are you telling us that there are still trolley tracks in Brooklyn that haven't been paved over or removed ? And as for the trolley wires, even the poles were removed. They would have to start from scratch, as they did in the Los Angeles area.
No, these were new tracks built and installed by Bob Diamond's volunteers with NYCDOT permission, then removed by NYCDOT after some disagreement somewhere over who knows what. This all happened between 2000-2004.