Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#688950  by zakharin

I am trying to get into Brooklyn from Jersey on the 3rd and, by my research, the shortest route (given holiday service on most lines) is via PATH to WTC then via the 4 line to Atlantic Ave where I can then switch to the B line. I imagine the transfer at Atlantic Ave is fairly straightforward, but am concerned about the transfer from PATH.

Given the ongoing construction at both stations, where would I need to go for the shortest route (and hopefully not too many stairs)? Am I correct to assume that the only open exit from the PATH station is on Versey Street? If so, is it a long walk to this exit from the train? It seems the elevator is on the South side of the station. If I'm correct, Versey Street is on the north side. Is it close to Broad Street or is it still closer to Church Street?

For the Fulton Street station, is the closest entrance still at a corner of Broad and Fulton? If so, which corner is it? I've only found info on what's closed (the entrance on the southeast side) and what's newly open (an entrance at Cortland st.), but nothing about existing entrances.

Thanks in advance,
Boris
 #689199  by fredct

Have you seen this?
http://www.onnyturf.com/subway/

If you click on any station and click on "Zoom to Exits", and you can see all the stairwell & other entrances to each subway station.

The only thing it doesn't show is the PATH entrance, which, last I knew (I'm not a regular rider - if it changed recently I wouldn't know) was basically at the very southern end of Greenwich St (around where it would intersect with Vesey St). Hopefully that gives you a visual to plan your way.

And yes, assuming your going to something in NJ along a PATH line, I would definitely think going to the WTC and switching to PATH would be your quickest way.
Last edited by fredct on Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #689248  by fredct

zakharin wrote:Thanks for the link. OK, it's Vesey st and W Broadway. According to Google Maps they do not intersect, so I thought it ment Broadway. Well, that adds two more blocks to my walk.
Yeah, they don't intersect on the map, but I think Vesey St does continue west as a construction-filled pedestrian alley. At least it did last summer.

If its equally convenient for you from your part of Brooklyn, you could consider taking the 2/3 to the Park Pl-Chambers stop, and walk from there, which may be closer than the Fulton St-Broadway-Nassau stop. (Not Chambers St station, although that's an okay walk too).
 #689251  by zakharin

I am not in Brooklyn. I'm going to visit. And I'll be in the B/Q line area. I guess there is still an underground connection between path and the E line. If that's the case, I could take that to w 4TH and transfer there.
 #689315  by alchemist

Underground connection between PATH and E is closed for construction. Far as I know the only way out of PATH WTC station is the exit to Vesey St.
 #689345  by zakharin

alchemist wrote:Underground connection between PATH and E is closed for construction. Far as I know the only way out of PATH WTC station is the exit to Vesey St.
So is this part of the Wikipedia article wrong?

The station also connects to several New York City Subway services:
The A C E trains at the Chambers Street–World Trade Center station of the IND Eighth Avenue Line
The 2 3 trains at the Park Place station of the IRT Broadway–Seventh Avenue Line
Two connections are currently closed:
The 1 train at the Cortlandt Street station on the IRT Broadway–Seventh Avenue Line (closed indefinitely pending reconstruction of the World Trade Center site)
The N R W trains at the Cortlandt Street station on the BMT Broadway Line (temporarily closed due to construction of the Fulton Street Transit Center)
 #689402  by alchemist

The Great God of Wiki is dead wrong. I ride the E every morning and I can tell you the underground connection is closed. Also the cited access to A and C lines and the Park Place 2 and 3 platform was via the E platform or parallel passageway. Granted it's a fairly short walk to these connections, but it remains the case that the direct underground access is closed.