Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#686852  by railfan365

Can anyone tell me what coupler types were installed on the various models from the R25's on? I know that the previous R cars were all single units, each with an automatic coupler at each end. However, I'd like clarification as to which married pairs had a drawbar between them and which had a conventional coupler between them, as well what the couplers were like on the R44's and R46's before overhaul. Thanks.
 #686974  by Fan Railer

ok, time to consult my spec sheets:
R1-R9 (BMT/IND): Wabco H2A
R10-R22 (IRT/BMT/IND): H2C

R26-R28, R30-R30A (IRT/BMT/IND): H2C on # 1 end, H2CAR (semi-permanent for married pair operation) on # 2 end
R26 GOH and R28 GOH (IRT): H2C on #1 end, H2CAR replaced by linkbar
R29 and R29 GOH(IRT): H2C on #1 end, Waugh linkbar model # 4F7579

R32, R38, R40S, R40M, R42, and all GOH versions (BMT/IND): H2C and linkbar
R33, R36 (all versions, IRT): H2C, Waugh linkbar # 2F7631 or WABCO linkbar # 565150

R44 pre-GOH (IND): Ohio Brass form 70, no specific info on GOH couplers other than addition of linkbars
R46 pre-GOH (IND): no specific information
R46 GOH (IND): Hadady coupler, # RTD107, Morrison Knudson linkbar

R62-R68A (IRT/BMT/IND): H2C and linkbars

R110A (IRT): WABCO N2C and linkbar
R110B (IND): New York Air Brake Company # RTC-201P and linkbars

R142, R142A (IRT): both same model from WABCO, model # not listed, linkbars
R143, R160 (BMT/IND): same as R142, R142A

hope this helps. :wink: :-D

NOTE: just because certain cars have the same coupler, DOES NOT mean that they are compatible. Compatibility is also based upon brake equipment (primarily), and some other minor systems that i am not aware about. :wink:
 #687127  by Kamen Rider

R series compatablity groups

R1-9

R10

The SMEE fleet plus posibly the 68s .the for the 68s the MTA went back to the tech of the SMEEs. the 130/131 order was to work out the bug in future fleets that ruined the early lives of the 44s and 46s. Ive seen pics of an R38 coupled to a franklin shuttle 68.

R44

R46

R62

R142 and 142A not compatable due to tractive effort diffrences

R143 and 160s not due to CBTC and other factors.
 #878785  by Stmtrolleyguy

I was wondering how permanently the connection is between a permanently-coupled pair/set of cars.

I've been reading up on R142s, and the way they're configured with cab-equpped cars on the ends, and trailer cars in the middle.
How hard is it to "break" up a train to service a single car?

The chart below mentions a "linkbar" - what exactly is it? Is it like a non-flexible drawbar of sorts that pinned in place on each car?

I've seen older cars (from other cities) that just have a giant pipe basically bolted between the cars that looks like it would have to be unbolted (20 or so bolts. . . .) or possibly cut with a torch if the bolts rust on. . . .
 #879086  by R36 Combine Coach

A linkbar is a permanent drawbar used to connect two or more cars in a pair or set.

All R10-42s are fully compatible. Even later cars can run with each other (on the 7 R33/R36 WFs are often coupled with R62As in the yard or nonrevenue moves). In addition to R62As 1901-2155 on the 7, 9 R68s are single units (for Franklin Shuttle).
 #880480  by District D RTC

Couplers hold little meaning as to compatibilities to run together. The example provided above of the R6A / R33S is a bad one because it is NOT TRUE in service - sure in the yard or on a non-revenue move many things can be made to happen. Just like how R68s and R68As have been mixed once upon a time (one 4-car set of each) and the braking differences really made the train hell on wheels. Never say never - but S.O.P. (standard operating procedure) you would never see 68/68A's together.

As to linked cars - they are LINKED - if you need to service one car you take the entire linked set. If car R142 #1198 was the cripple this would mean 1196-1197-1198-1199-1200 would be shopped. Breaking up linked sets or relinking them is pretty major shop work and is not done regularly. Sure if you had two 5 car units expected to be OOS long term they MIGHT scramble 5 good cars out of them if the correct complement of cars existed but thats a BIG if and it would be a major shop item to turn out a "new" linked set of the 5 'salvaged' cars now as a new link.
 #888793  by railfan365

Following from the previous post, just what is the difference betwen a permanent link and a semi-permanent link? (I know that either way, the 2 cars involved are locked together - but how so that pemranent is even more work to break up than semi-permanent)
 #888833  by R36 Combine Coach

Semi-permanent couplings (H2C coupler) have the flexiblity for the cars in the pair set to be swapped around. If one car is ouf of service, it can be mated to a similar car of the same or comptaible type with a semi-permanent coupler (basically single units in paired sets). The permanent coupling uses a link bar which can only be decoupled in the shop or under maintenance, making it not possible to split (or swap) the mates.