Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#52491  by Robert Paniagua

I hope the same thing applies to videotaping too............

Although I DID videotape out the front off a PX Associates/Westinghouse-Amrail R68 over Labour Day weekend, thru the fuzzy cab access door window, and also from a Hawker-Siddeley style Pullman-Standard R46 last year, did videotaping the same way, didn't get nabbed either.

#52537  by efin98

It appears to be a clearer definition of what is not allowed under the current rules, an adjustment in the wording rather than increase in the
From the article:
"We are looking at a prohibition that will allow the police to make sure individuals are not photographing sensitive areas of the system - but that would still allow tourists and train lovers and people who just find beauty in the system - to photograph it without infringing on their civil liberties," the source said.
They can ask what you are photographing but can not issue tickets unless you are photographing prohibitted areas.
Also from the article and the most convincing clarification as to what will be in the new rules:
Gene Russianoff of the Straphangers Campaign said his group could live with a new regulation that bans photography and filming of security-sensitive locations, such as underwater tunnels, dispatcher towers and equipment rooms.
You can add in places like crew quarters, yards, signals, and switches to the listing and leave more than enough to satisfy photographers.

#53052  by ctaman34

good i hope peter kalikow feels embrassed for proposing that stpid ban in the first place

i told my mom and she told me its good to help the national security
and she didn't care

#62179  by Allan

ctaman34 wrote:Good I hope Peter Kalikow feels embrassed for proposing that stupid ban in the first place

I told my mom and she told me its good to help the national security
and she didn't care
Peter Kalikow wasn't the one who proposed it. It was NYPD Commisioner Ray Kelly who proposed it to the MTA Board.

Ever wonder why cops always say that photography is illegal in the subway? It because their boss- Ray Kelly - says so. Never mind that NY State regulations permit it and that the MTA board has not yet voted on the recommendations (and apparently won't).