Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#674757  by kevikens

I was in NYC over the weekend and while my wife shopped I rode the subway system. I know most stations do not have bathrooms but I was wondering if ANY subway stations had working and open to patrons facilities. Thanks. I was also at a couple Metro North stations, Marble Hill and Sputen Duyvil and they had no restrooms. Do any stations other than Grand Central have restrooms ? Thanks again
 #674778  by Kurt

The ones that do have them are only open until midnight. I know off the top of my head, 42 St/Times Square (in mezzanine next to music store), 42st/8 Ave, and West 4 St( in the middle mezzanine) have restrooms. 42st/Grand Central might have them, they are two doors near escalator to 7 platform that are marked.
 #674859  by R36 Combine Coach

Times Square has toliet facilities in the entrance building at 7 Avenue & 42 Street (SE corner). This building and facility is privately managed. Terminal stations are more likely to have facilities.

I wouldn't recommend subway restrooms. There are many other cleaner, safer choices.
 #674875  by RedLantern

Last time I was there, in a few of the stations, the support columns along the platform seem to be taking on that responsibility based on the smells.
 #674938  by kevikens

I may not have made myself clear. What I mean to find out is if there are any restrooms WITHIN the subway system, that is restrooms that you would not have had to leave the subway stations to use. I tried leaving the system in Queens and later in upper Manhattan to find a restroom and had no luck, that is no place I would have been comfortable entering. I know of the facilities at GCT and the Port Authority Terminal, 42nd St. and 8th Ave., but you have to get out of the subway system to use them. Thanks again.
 #674968  by CNJGeep

The only one I can think of is at Stillwell Ave/Coney Island, but I trust that that is way out of your way.
 #674976  by kevikens

Thanks, Geep. It may not be that out of the way. This summer I will be coming to the city a number of times and I do want to ride into Brooklyn. Knowing of the restroom there could make it a kind of mid point in my joy riding and I am glad to hear that there is still a station with a rest room. Maybe there are others and rail fans in this forum may yet point out others. For anyone who just wants to ride the system it would be advantageous to catalog those stations. Thanks again.
 #675117  by Otto Vondrak

kevikens wrote:I tried leaving the system in Queens and later in upper Manhattan to find a restroom and had no luck, that is no place I would have been comfortable entering.
You have to leave the system to find a clean bathroom. The bathrooms in Grand Central Terminal are okay. Also consider going to the Grand Hyatt next door for clean bathrooms. Honestly, there are no facilities inside the system that you'd want to use anyway.
 #675222  by diffusedmind

The restrooms in Roosevelt Ave. are especially shady. The guy who cleans the toilets in 14th St. (A C E L) is a schmuck. The best ones are in Grand Central (requires you to leave fare control) and Sutphin Blvd. (same).

Those of you who know people may be able to use a nonpublic facility.
 #675323  by Aces

36th St. in Brooklyn has one, up the stairs opposite the turnstiles (no exit required). Atlantic Pacific has one just before the descent to the B,D,M,N,R platform (no exit required). As previous posters stated, they may not be the nicest, but when you got to go..... I believe they have both women's and men's at these two locations.
 #675607  by RailBus63

Church Street on the F line has restrooms in the mezzanine, although I would use it for anything other than Number 1.
 #675638  by drewh

I was also at a couple Metro North stations, Marble Hill and Sputen Duyvil and they had no restrooms. Do any stations other than Grand Central have restrooms ? Thanks again
Stamford, Bridgeport, and New Haven have restrooms.
 #675731  by kevikens

Thanks, guys. I am going to mark my Metra map with all these locations and have them with me. I wonder if you could ride the whole system using those restroom facilities so that you never had to leave the system ?
 #675839  by gjk1716

Queensboro Plaza (N/7) has public restrooms in the mezzanine, near the second stairway to the Manhattan-bound platform. They are only open during the day. There are public restrooms at Broadway Junction (A/J/L) which are near a police station, but I still wouldn't suggest going to that area. Unfortunately, many subway restrooms had to be closed due to crime and people just acting like pigs.

-G-
 #675849  by R36 Combine Coach

Most subway restrooms were closed in the 1970s and 80s due to crime and safety issues. The few that remain are mainly at major stations or terminals.