Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#760279  by TREnecNYP

Give me classic steel and wood and tile and brick over this disaster any day of the week.

Just extend the current platform......

- A
 #786801  by N4J

What's the status of this ? The New Arena is opened and the Urban Renewal projects are starting to move forward yet this isn't?
 #787375  by OportRailfan

Nexis4Jersey wrote:What's the status of this ? The New Arena is opened and the Urban Renewal projects are starting to move forward yet this isn't?
Phase 1 was to build the parking deck. I imagine phase 2 consists of prep work to the existing station and/or demolition of certain structures/features of the current station
 #790410  by TREnecNYP

OportRailfan wrote:
Nexis4Jersey wrote:What's the status of this ? The New Arena is opened and the Urban Renewal projects are starting to move forward yet this isn't?
Phase 1 was to build the parking deck. I imagine phase 2 consists of prep work to the existing station and/or demolition of certain structures/features of the current station
Can we make phase 2 demolish the over-spending design & end up with a classic railroad station with simply more capacity and a slightly longer platform instead? Bet you a million bucks it would be far more appreciated than the cold metal & glass that seems to be all the rage with rail station design these days. Not looking forward to all the delays on the red line this is going to cause due to workers needing to do whatever all summer long. :(

- A
 #790468  by OportRailfan

TREnecNYP wrote:
OportRailfan wrote:
Can we make phase 2 demolish the over-spending design & end up with a classic railroad station with simply more capacity and a slightly longer platform instead? Bet you a million bucks it would be far more appreciated than the cold metal & glass that seems to be all the rage with rail station design these days. Not looking forward to all the delays on the red line this is going to cause due to workers needing to do whatever all summer long. :(

- A
I think it'll be appreciated more than the current station that's probably close to, if not a half-century old.

Also, its official name is the Newark to World Trade Center line, or vice-versa, not the 'red line'.
 #790910  by TREnecNYP

I know what it's called. As someone who grew up in CNJ, PRR & RDG territory, i must say that i prefer the classic iron/steel & wood canopy, there's just something about it that the metal & glass totally lacks.

- A
 #803039  by nyrmetros

I really like the old school feel to the current Harrison PATH. The entrance/exit does need a major refurb though. There line to get into the Harrison PATH is horrendous after Red Bulls MLS games. I wind up waiting an hour after the game for the congestion to slow down.
 #805814  by Kamen Rider

TREnecNYP wrote:I know what it's called. As someone who grew up in CNJ, PRR & RDG territory, i must say that i prefer the classic iron/steel & wood canopy, there's just something about it that the metal & glass totally lacks.
People could say the same thing about what you like, it lacks. Glass lets more light in. It's also lighter weight, requiring less support.

Wood rots (and burns), iron rusts. Glass does not degrade.

It's how things are built today, live with it.
 #807855  by nyrmetros

Seems the PATH system was shut down last night before the red Bulls game. Anyone know what happened? A lot of people couldn't make the game because of it.
 #807901  by OportRailfan

I thought I got a PATHAlert about track rehabilitation that suspended service, but I'm pretty sure service was resumed with half hour delays
 #809066  by nyrmetros

OportRailfan wrote:I thought I got a PATHAlert about track rehabilitation that suspended service, but I'm pretty sure service was resumed with half hour delays
suspicioous package underneath the Harrison statuion............... 7, 000 people missed the Red Bulls game because of it.
 #810500  by nyrmetros

Coming back from the Red Bull game Sunday afternoon the PATH system at Harrison was completely overwhelmed with people. I waited 2 hours after the game hanging out with friends, but damn that was a long line to get into the station. Good to see a lot of people are using PATH to get to red bull arena though.
 #823869  by blasito

Seems the renovation/replacement has been put on the back burner due to " lack of funds" -

.. from an article about the lack of bike parking at PATH stations ...

TSTC - Bike Racks for Harrison?

...Expect even greater usage in the future. The station is central to a formerly industrial neighborhood that hosts the new Red Bulls soccer stadium and is the the object of major city redevelopment plans. The Port Authority eventually plans to reconstruct the station (it had to remove the project from its near-term capital program due to lack of funds), but that redesign does not yet include bike parking.