Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#640786  by Windowsxpfan2103

Transit advocates held a mock funeral today to mourn the loss of the Z line, which the Metropolitan Transportation Authority has put on the chopping block.

"Yea, though the Z walks through the valley of the shadow of death, it will fear no MTA plan," said Gene Russianoff of the transit advocacy group, The Straphangers Campaign.

While the Straphangers Campaign staged the mock funeral with tongue firmly in cheek, it says the loss of the Z train is no laughing matter. Along the same line, the MTA plans to shorter the M train and eliminate J/Z skip-stop service.

Although the agency will add extra J trains, the changes will add time to riders' commutes.

"Someone coming from Parsons Boulevard-Jamaica will have about seven minutes added to their trip one-way," said Russianoff. "So when you calculate that twice a day, five days a week, that's an hour of additional commuting time those riders are going to have."

Advocates though say the Z train can be brought back from the dead, if Albany acts on the recommendations of the Ravitch Commission and provides the MTA more funding.

"I'm here to tell you that we believe in resurrection," said Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer. "And we believe that this battle, which now heads to Albany, we have not yet begun to fight."

The protest comes one day after more than 400 people turn out to speak out about the MTA's proposed fare hikes and service cuts. Held at a hotel in Midtown, the MTA's first of eight public hearings ran nearly eight hours, wrapping up after 1 a.m.

Riders of all ages told board members how the fare hikes and service cuts would affect them.

"I'm a little sad that they're cutting those trains," said one young rider. "How are the M-train people going to get to work? Please don't cut the W, M, and Z trains. I like that they are all new. Thanks for letting me speak."

"In the 1970s, most of your express trains ran 24 hours," said another rider. "That needs to be returned."

The MTA says that without help from Albany, it would have to raise single-ride bus and subway fares as high as $3 and cut certain bus routes and train lines to close a $1.2 billion budget deficit.

"I think the public is obviously extremely upset with the proposed service cuts, with the fare increases," said MTA Executive Director and Chief Executive Officer Elliot "Lee" Sander. "And so I don't think we think this is unfair; we just hope that Albany listens and acts to provide the funding that we need."

To prevent the changes, the Legislature would have to take action by March 25.

The second hearing will be held next Tuesday in Queens.

Source: http://www.ny1.com/Content/news_beats/t ... fault.aspx
 #640791  by DCmetrogreen

"In the 1970s, most of your express trains ran 24 hours," said another rider. "That needs to be returned."
What this idiot doesn't realize is that express trains are run local at night to do maintenance. In the 70's, deferred maintenance meant that those trains that could run, could be run all night because little of the necessary work was getting done.
 #640824  by Windowsxpfan2103

DCmetrogreen wrote:
What this idiot doesn't realize is that express trains are run local at night to do maintenance. In the 70's, deferred maintenance meant that those trains that could run, could be run all night because little of the necessary work was getting done.
well that's what the guy said at the public hearing.
 #641926  by arrow

DCmetrogreen wrote:
I agree. I also think that when it comes down to making service cuts, the Z should be one of the first to go.
 #643879  by FRIEDCHIKKIN

Skipping a few stops on the J/Z line, with things running smoothly, shaves only 5-10 minutes (read "much closer to 5...") off of the total, terminal to terminal run time during rush hour.
 #644817  by arrow

FRIEDCHIKKIN wrote:Skipping a few stops on the J/Z line, with things running smoothly, shaves only 5-10 minutes (read "much closer to 5...") off of the total, terminal to terminal run time during rush hour.
exactly