Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#595739  by umtrr-author

[Posted 10/27/2008, not sure how long these links will be available on the New York Times website.]

Link to Slide Show on The New York Times website entitled "The Last Trace of the Old Hudson Terminal".
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2008/1 ... index.html
Mostly shots taken during the construction of the World Trade Center, showing how they needed to work around the old "tube" that went over to Hudson Terminal on Church Street. I have essentially zero memory of Hudson Terminal (I was too young!) so I appreciated this.

Companion article "Another Ghost From Ground Zero's Past Fades Away"
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/27/nyreg ... unnel.html
“No complete rings could be salvaged, as they were embedded in concrete,” said Steven Coleman, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. But the agency did salvage 108 cast-iron segments that formed the tube[.]
 #1107881  by erie910

I remember riding PATH to Hudson Terminal during the WTC construction. At some point, the south tube had an opening, and one could look down several stories from the suspended PATH track. It was an amazing view.
 #1200827  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Irwin, your links to The Times' slideshow remains active, and raises an observation that obviously any consideration to building the South Tube has forever been scuttled.

I have Ex Libris Droege which notes that the South Tube is to be built later. From the slideshow, it appears that the first World Trade Center still allowed for the provision to have that tube built. However, for the second WTC, it would certainly appear that second tube is forever a lost cause.

Nevertheless, The Times has an extremely positive article today regarding the Calatravas designed WTC terminal:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/18/nyreg ... ndest.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brief passage:

• How much did it cost to build Grand Central Terminal?

Most people cannot answer that question ($80 million, as it happens), in part because it no longer seems very salient. Whatever the price, New York received an enduring landmark in exchange, a portal to the city that has never lost its power to inspire awe.

If the World Trade Center Transportation Hub is ever to emerge from under the shadow of its $3.94 billion price tag (double Grand Central’s, adjusted for inflation), it will have to do more than move PATH commuters efficiently. It will have to lift hearts.

Perhaps it can.

A visit to the monumental station on Wednesday left the impression that its main transit hall may be the most hopeful element at the trade center complex when it opens in 2015.
Even if there is not to be a new Penn Station structure, New York will have two 'Grand Entrances' by rail - even if they will only be used by commuters who could care less about any aesthetics of the structure from which their train arrives or leaves.
 #1200935  by 25Hz

Not sure about current layout under there, but last i was through there, it seemed to be a possibility (ie no load bearing structures in the way) of a second set of tubes. Not sure if they'd be built differently to need less space through the slurry wall, or other variables on both the NJ and NY side. Even though i no longer use PATH regularly, it will be nice when construction is done & they no longer have to change traffic patterns and such. Of course a second set of tunnels could mean more of that, but who knows.