Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#591481  by arrow

RearOfSignal wrote:Impersonating federal agents, transit and railroad workers and hijacking a subway train is not enthusiasm, it's criminal!
I agree, and I also think that hiring him is not a solution. Rather, it would encourage more of this kind of dangerous behavior.
 #591487  by Kamen Rider

DarkSun wrote:McCollum also never 'hijacked' a subway train. "Hijacking" means "to take over by force." This is something McCollum has never done.
He still took the thing. doesn't matter with force or withour force. No training what so ever, If something had gone wrong utside of his control, he'd have been up a creek without a boat, let alone a paddle.
 #591556  by DarkSun

Kamen Rider wrote:
DarkSun wrote:McCollum also never 'hijacked' a subway train. "Hijacking" means "to take over by force." This is something McCollum has never done.
He still took the thing. doesn't matter with force or withour force. No training what so ever, If something had gone wrong utside of his control, he'd have been up a creek without a boat, let alone a paddle.
It matters a whole lot. If he had a record of hijacking a subway train, I'd support incarcerating him for life with no possibility of parole. Hijacking = very bad. Think 9/11. I definitely would not support the MTA hiring a former subway hijacker. Doing so would be insanely reckless.

McCollum has usually done what he did because he was asked to do so by MTA employees. For example:
On a winter's night in 1981, Darius was riding with the driver of an E train when the driver became ill and asked him to take over. The driver got out at 34th Street and Darius drove downtown to the World Trade Center, his passengers unaware, until it was time to turn around. He was apprehended as he walked back through the train to start the journey back uptown. He was only 15.
By the time he was eighteen, TA employees had begun calling him at home and asking him to pull shifts.
[McCollum] ran into some old friends at Queens Plaza soon after he got back to New York, and they invited him to hang out and take some of their shifts, and he thought he could do a few and go back to North Carolina, "but it just kept going, and that was it."
And he was trained:
Darius's apprenticeship began with a motorman he called Uncle Craft, who drove the first train Darius took regularly. When Craft began working at the 179th Street yard, he taught Darius to drive along the generous stretch of track between the yard and the last F stop. Darius learned how to ease a train into a station, aligning it with the markers that match its length, how to read signals while simultaneously observing the track connections the signals predict (he was taught never to assume the infallibility of signals), and how to understand the timers that govern the signals. Darius was an exceptional, methodical student: he learned quickly and thoroughly, building on each skill he acquired and instantly memorizing terminology. Soon he was doing yard maneuvers and taking trains into passenger service, as both a train operator and a conductor. (By the time of his first arrest, he had driven trains dozens of times.)

To broaden his knowledge, Darius visited employees from 179th Street who had taken up new positions elsewhere. He learned to drive garbage trains and de-icer trains and to repair the electrical boxes that control signals. In renovation shops he learned how to dismantle trains and reassemble them. In control towers he learned how to direct traffic: routing trains around obstructions, replacing late trains, switching ABD trains ("abandoned due to malfunction") out of service. The more he learned the more he volunteered to do, and the easier he made the lives of the people who taught him.
If multiple TA employees trusted him to do their jobs, doesn't that say something?
arrow wrote:
RearOfSignal wrote:Impersonating federal agents, transit and railroad workers and hijacking a subway train is not enthusiasm, it's criminal!
I agree, and I also think that hiring him is not a solution. Rather, it would encourage more of this kind of dangerous behavior.
Again I'm going to refer you to my previous reply to RearOfSignal's post, and also I'm going to repost this segment from my first post in this thread in reply to your post:
DarkSun wrote:Unless "guilty until proven innocent" is the new standard for judging in the U.S., there is no reason to claim that McCollum poses, or would pose, a safety risk to riders. McCollum does not have any record of putting any riders in harm's way. In fact, he's even helped riders in at least one safety-sensitive situation in the past. Furthermore, McCollum need not necessarily be placed in a safety-sensitive position in the TA.
As far as 'encouraging' people to follow in McCollum's shoes... if he were given a job at the TA, do you really think people are going to want to follow his path? Bear in mind his path has involved in excess of 25 arrests and plenty of jail and probation time...
 #591625  by Kamen Rider

He doesn't deserve a job. he's preformed criminal acts. Thats an automatic DQ on the admission tests. his TA friends are just as guilty.
 #591634  by DarkSun

Kamen Rider wrote:He doesn't deserve a job. he's preformed criminal acts. Thats an automatic DQ on the admission tests. his TA friends are just as guilty.
Whether or not he 'deserves' a job is clearly a matter of personal opinion. As far as his record being an automatic disqualification, though, I'd have to disagree: per the MTA's website, "the existence of a conviction record does not exclude someone from working at NYC Transit. The decision to hire is made on a case-by-case basis. However, all applicants must disclose the existence of convictions upon request."

I'd venture to say that McCollum would be willing to work unpaid. After all, hasn't he already been 'working' unpaid for the TA for years now? So it would not necessarily be a matter of giving a paid, sought-after position to him over someone else without a conviction record.
 #591720  by arrow

If multiple TA employees trusted him to do their jobs, doesn't that say something?
It says that those employees are irresponsible.
 #591728  by DarkSun

arrow wrote:
It says that those employees are irresponsible.
It says those employees knew McCollum as a responsible guy, felt he was qualified to do their jobs, and trusted him to do their jobs well.
 #591743  by RearOfSignal

OMG, it doesn't matter if he spotted the train perfectly at each stop! The guy was in violation of the law, period; he is not authorized to operate trains, or walk around yards. He repeatedly got in trouble with the law for violating his parole and being caught in restricted areas of New York's transit system, what does that say about his sense of responsibility? I could drive a city bus and make all the stops without crashing, doesn't mean the NYCT should give me a job! Come on, give me a break!
 #591803  by DarkSun

RearOfSignal wrote:OMG, it doesn't matter if he spotted the train perfectly at each stop! The guy was in violation of the law, period; he is not authorized to operate trains, or walk around yards. He repeatedly got in trouble with the law for violating his parole and being caught in restricted areas of New York's transit system, what does that say about his sense of responsibility? I could drive a city bus and make all the stops without crashing, doesn't mean the NYCT should give me a job! Come on, give me a break!
Yes, obviously what he did was wrong, and was against the law. However, it was really not his fault so much as it was the fault of his Asperger's, which drew him to become so obsessed with 'helping' out in the transit system that he was drawn back again and again despite the arrests, despite the public humiliation of having his face plastered over 'Wanted' posters throughout the transit system, despite his parents' fervent pleas for him to stop, and despite the jail and probation time. He's obviously obsessed for good with 'helping' out in the transit system, and he's obviously qualified to help out in the transit system, so instead of trying to stop him and wasting taxpayer money on prosecuting and incarcerating him, why not just let him help?
 #591822  by RearOfSignal

Because he is mentally unfit, that's why. And do not say that I'm being insensitive, I have several friends with autism. The fact is he is not qualified to operate trains, no matter how closely he spots trains at markers or how many railroad keys he has. I'm sure he's not a bad person, but he has a condition that limits his judgment, example: He can't seem to stay of secure railroad property despite many run-ins with the law. Can he help it? Maybe not, but that does not mean NYCT should give him a job anyway when he had already failed the physical because of his condition when he did apply!
 #591829  by DarkSun

RearOfSignal wrote:Because he is mentally unfit, that's why. And do not say that I'm being insensitive, I have several friends with autism. The fact is he is not qualified to operate trains, no matter how closely he spots trains at markers or how many railroad keys he has. I'm sure he's not a bad person, but he has a condition that limits his judgment, example: He can't seem to stay of secure railroad property despite many run-ins with the law. Can he help it? Maybe not, but that does not mean NYCT should give him a job anyway when he had already failed the physical because of his condition when he did apply!
I agree that McCollum obviously isn't able to stay off secure TA property despite many run-ins with the law. I also do not think you are being insensitive. However, it just seems to me that if he had a job with the TA, he wouldn't need to stay off secure TA property, so wouldn't that solve the trespassing issue?
 #591832  by RussNelson

Well, let's take a reality check here. It's clear that, after 28 arrests, Darius isn't going to stop trying to work on the railroad. Which is more expensive: keeping his sorry ass in jail at a cost of $70K per year? Or finding a sympathetic MTA employee to be his partner, officially train Darius to do a job, and pay Darius a fraction of that $70K? I'm a NY taxpayer, so I think I get to have an opinion here.

What I see is a man who stepped out on the wrong foot with the MTA, and has never been able to get his balance again. Neither he nor the MTA are behaving like adults. It seems to me like an adult need to step in-between him and the MTA, and get the MTA to understand that they have no choice but to hire him, since the alternative of keeping Darius in jail for the rest of his adult life is unconscionable.
 #591839  by DarkSun

RussNelson wrote:Well, let's take a reality check here. It's clear that, after 28 arrests, Darius isn't going to stop trying to work on the railroad. Which is more expensive: keeping his sorry ass in jail at a cost of $70K per year? Or finding a sympathetic MTA employee to be his partner, officially train Darius to do a job, and pay Darius a fraction of that $70K?
Agreed Russ. Also, as previously mentioned, if salary is an issue, I think McCollum would be more than happy to work for free. After all, he's already been 'working' for free for years.
RussNelson wrote:What I see is a man who stepped out on the wrong foot with the MTA, and has never been able to get his balance again. Neither he nor the MTA are behaving like adults. It seems to me like an adult need to step in-between him and the MTA, and get the MTA to understand that they have no choice but to hire him, since the alternative of keeping Darius in jail for the rest of his adult life is unconscionable.
Definitely. I'm sure he would have been hired years ago and be a great veteran employee at the MTA by now if he'd just waited until he was 18 and applied through the proper channels. Unfortunately, he attempted to get an 'early' start and by the time he was 18 and could apply, he was already on the wrong foot with the MTA so he wasn't hired and things just deteriorated from there.
 #591939  by Kamen Rider

RearOfSignal wrote:Because he is mentally unfit, that's why. And do not say that I'm being insensitive, I have several friends with autism. The fact is he is not qualified to operate trains, no matter how closely he spots trains at markers or how many railroad keys he has. I'm sure he's not a bad person, but he has a condition that limits his judgment, example: He can't seem to stay of secure railroad property despite many run-ins with the law. Can he help it? Maybe not, but that does not mean NYCT should give him a job anyway when he had already failed the physical because of his condition when he did apply!
IAWTA, and lets take this one step further, I have the same condition and even I think he's a danger to the system. giving Darius a job sets an dangeroius precident, in that any one can claim a mental defect and say they should be hired. The MTA an't Wal-Mart.
 #591952  by DarkSun

Kamen Rider wrote:IAWTA, and lets take this one step further, I have the same condition and even I think he's a danger to the system. giving Darius a job sets an dangeroius precident, in that any one can claim a mental defect and say they should be hired. The MTA an't Wal-Mart.
Except that McCollum isn't claiming a mental defect, he was diagnosed as such by qualified doctors. I don't think it would set any precedent, let alone a dangerous one. McCollum's case, as previously stated, is unique, and I don't think anyone would consciously desire to emulate his path in life.

Let's then analyze your logic. You have Asperger's. You assert that McCollum is 'mentally unfit' because he has Asperger's. Then if we apply that same logic to you, Kamen Rider, you are 'mentally unfit' because you have Asperger's. But if you yourself are 'mentally unfit', then how would you be qualified to judge McCollum's mental fitness, or lack thereof? You wouldn't be qualified to make such a judgment. See how your logic bites yourself in the foot?