Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#586708  by blasito

PA Press Release: Changes to WTC Plans
---
No. 1 Subway/PATH Necessary Outages

The report also highlighted a decision that will have an impact on riders on the #1 and PATH to World Trade Center. In order to speed completion of the Cortland Street Station, the #1 underpinning and the Transportation Hub, the #1 subway line and PATH to World Trade Center will experience service interruptions beginning in 2009.

Specifically, the service interruptions on the #1 will include the line terminating at Chambers Street for six weeks in the summer of 2010, and potentially for some period in 2009. The PATH to World Trade Center will be closed on numerous weekends, beginning in 2009 and lasting until 2011.
---

I wonder how they will adapt the weekend service. Terminate the NWK - WTC line at Exchange Pl? Or have the NWK line go to 33rd St and have a stub train from Exchange Pl to Hoboken to 33 St? Or do they close Exchange Pl. too?
 #587007  by OportRailfan

My guess is that they'll do it during overnight work or on the weekends.

Primary times to have the station shut down.

I know they're going to be doing extensive track work there too, and will have a minimum of 3 tracks open at one time, and 2 being worked on.

I'm thinking they'll just terminate service at exchange place, or they will reinstitute journal square to 33rd on weekends.
 #587064  by fredct

To get technical, they said 'numerous' weekends, not every weekend. Perhaps numerous means nearly all, or is could mean something like one or so per month, which to me could fairly be qualified as 'numerous'. Guess we'll see.
 #587763  by blasito

I looked at the old maps of the system after they had re-opened the Exchange PL stop but before they had re-opened WTC, and they were running just two trains on the weekends, one from Newark to Exchange, and the other from Journal Sq to 33 via Hoboken. I would bet this is what they will do for the construction shut down.
 #653343  by fredct

Has the PA decided which weekends it will be closed? I can't find any information on details. If it hasn't started yet, then it looks like we're getting close to running below '40 weekends' in 2009.

I ask because I may recommend someone take PATH this weekend, depending on the status of the line.
 #653356  by OportRailfan

I went to WTC for the first time in a couple months yesterday. Construction of the transit hub is coming along nicely, and 2 tracks(I think 1&2) are OOS. Over the summer at a tour of the site, the PA mentioned that 2 tracks at a time would be taken out of service at WTC, to facilitate work on the station.
 #653481  by PONYA

fredct wrote:Has the PA decided which weekends it will be closed? I can't find any information on details. If it hasn't started yet, then it looks like we're getting close to running below '40 weekends' in 2009.

I ask because I may recommend someone take PATH this weekend, depending on the status of the line.
Best guess Mid to late May for service to not run to WTC on weekends. As soon as plans are finalized the PATH website will announce.
 #670263  by blasito

WORLD TRADE CENTER PATH STATION CLOSED MORNING OF SUNDAY, MAY 17
On Sunday, May 17 from 6 AM until 11:30 AM ONLY, the World Trade Center PATH Station will be closed for an Emergency Response Exercise.

Call me cynical, but this also sounds like a test of the weekend shutdowns they had previously announced, but had yet to release details on. If they don't get a lot of complaints I doubt they will add service on the 33rd St run or offer free transfers for those affected.
 #671168  by pgengler

As part of the work being done at the WTC site and station, track 1 has been closed for a while. In the last week or two they've pulled up the rails and have about 1/4 of the platform looking like a construction site (they've taken down a staircase, I believe, jackhammered out some of the platform and taken out some of the ceiling). This week, PATH was handing out notices that starting Monday (May 18), track 2 will be closed and all HOB-WTC trains will only use track 3. (This is probably to accommodate all the work happening over that way.)
 #672335  by OportRailfan

Anyone know if they were utilizing L Track at Exchange Place this morning to turn cars their for their return trip?

Or did I misinterpret their intentions and there was no service out of Newark/to Exchange Place at all?