Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#583213  by PullmanCo

R36 Combine Coach wrote:This dates from when the line was the PRR to Exchange Place in downtown Jersey City until 1961. It was never fully removed and portions remain. Interestingly H&M cars shared the line with GG1s and MP54s between Newark and Jersey City.
They also shared that track with steamers such as the K4s and E4, not to mention diesels such as the Baldwin "sharknose" and other PRR passenger diesels.
 #583343  by OportRailfan

transit383 wrote:
OportRailfan wrote:I'll be going to Hoboken tomorrow...I'll see if I can get a couple shots of it
Try and sit in that seat up front next to the motorman in the front car or the same seat in the last car. Thats where I was when I noticed it... I don't think its visible from anywhere else in the train.
That's where I typically sit if I can when I get on in Newark
 #584032  by OportRailfan

OK, so instead of going to Hoboken on the PATH yesterday, I had to instead go to NYC first on a NEC train, so on the return trip back to Newark today I managed to get on a NWK train at Grove St. and get a decent seat up front at Journal Square.

There is existing catenary in two sections...I was only paying attention to the track I was on, but I imagine it's probably the same on the other track.

Starting from halfway across Hack, the catenary begins there and runs to signal 753Z. This video below is shortly after getting off Hack.

The second section starts right after the red trestle overpass that I think is the waterfront connection? (correct me if I'm wrong)
This runs all they way into Harrison to where there is a bend in the track to get the train right up next to the platform, as seen in this video(sorry about the shakiness)
 #584082  by Kaback9

Well now the question is why is it still there now that we have proof. Greatvids! I don't mind the shaking its not as bad as that kids vid of the P40.
 #584127  by Raritan Express

The red trestle is the waterfront connection or NJT Hudson Line. Nice vids.
 #624161  by sixty-six

Otto Vondrak wrote:
kilroy wrote:But Conrail hasn't used electric power in over 25 years so its either left over from then or is there for NJT use in delivering equipment to PATH.
I don't think NJT and PATH are interchange partners. What's more, that catenary is not maintained, and is most likely de-energized.
Who says they arent? NJT has stuff destined for PATH all the time.
 #760236  by TREnecNYP

The last vestige of a bygone era, along with the stone viaduct in JC. Exchange Place terminal was a sight to behold judging from photos, a smaller version of broad street terminal.

From what i know, H&M was massively funded by PRR. There are numerous wonderful depictions of what was basically a bypass service of JSQ, the main line straight through, the curved portion with H&M platforms.

Can you imagine going to JSQ today and seeing diesel or electric locos to EXP???

When hudson interlocking was reconfigured after the removal of both exchange place terminal, and manhattan transfer before it, the cross-over tracks needed to make these moves were replaced by yard tracks and a single connection to the NEC from PATH. Would be neat to see photos of the various configurations of Hudson over the years.

Interestingly enough, the freight that comes along side PATH is on the old main line, diverging only to cross the river. I believe thay freight yard was also once connected to H&M/NEC tracks.

- A
 #776103  by N4J

Is it possible , for the PATH to restore the Catenary and allow NJT or there service to Connect form the NEC to Journal SQ or another Jersey City hub? Or how about ordering Dual EMU's Third Rail & Catenary to allow for the PATH to extend to EWR.
 #776206  by OportRailfan

Not in the cards. PA loses money on PATH. They're going to keep what they have going right now, especially just with the signaling and rolling stock improvements. They're fine with just their 3rd rail.
 #776573  by TREnecNYP

Nexis4Jersey wrote:Is it possible , for the PATH to restore the Catenary and allow NJT or there service to Connect form the NEC to Journal SQ or another Jersey City hub? Or how about ordering Dual EMU's Third Rail & Catenary to allow for the PATH to extend to EWR.
It would make far more sense to run a diesel train from journal square down through the MMC to the airport stopping on track whatever is easiest at newark penn & stop at airport, run off to RVL tracks, engineer change ends than have PATH use a decrepit catenary system that has been de-energized since the 70's/80's. 3rd rail works for them, no need to pay for some power system change when they can use the money on signals, switches, and other functional needed work & upgrades. Ever notice the collection of large electrical equipment at journal square station just to the west? That was the power supply for the entire newark to exchange place overhead line system. Just imagine having to rebuild that!!!!

- A
 #778921  by mrsam

jimzim66 wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:
kilroy wrote:But Conrail hasn't used electric power in over 25 years so its either left over from then or is there for NJT use in delivering equipment to PATH.
I don't think NJT and PATH are interchange partners. What's more, that catenary is not maintained, and is most likely de-energized.
Who says they arent? NJT has stuff destined for PATH all the time.
The catenary segment that runs up to the Hack drawbridge is most definitely deenergized. The end of the catenary is terminated by wrapping it around one of the bridge's cross-beams. Lighting up the entire bridge superstructure to 12 or 25 kilovolts wouldn't be such a great idea...

The catenary segment that runs up to Harrison is most likely energized. The last time I had a good look at it, I think that at the Harrison end it goes over and crosses with the live, energized, NEC mainline catenary.
 #779733  by TREnecNYP

mrsam wrote:The catenary segment that runs up to Harrison is most likely energized. The last time I had a good look at it, I think that at the Harrison end it goes over and crosses with the live, energized, NEC mainline catenary.
That section of line is not electrically tied into the NEC power system. Conrail de-activated all of it, and took most of it down. There is no way that amtrak would have nearly a mile of electrified line hovering over tracks it never operated on. The simple fact is that the traffic is too busy to justify obstructing a track to remove the lines by the time it came to those areas, that is the only reason why it remains.

- A