Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#573268  by SubwayTim

Do both the Williamsburg and Queensboro bridges have pedestrian walkways? I'm going to New York City tomorrow and will be leaving sometime Monday afternoon. I will be staying in Midtown Manhattan. Since I will have my dog with me and dogs are not allowed on the subways, I'm planning on doing some "fly-by" railfanning (photographing/videotaping passing trains) and I'm hoping I could walk across Queensboro Bridge to Queensboro Plaza and/or Williamsburg Bridge to photograph trains on the bridge as well as on the elevated structure on Broadway in Brooklyn. Also, is the neighborhood on the Brooklyn side of Williamsburg Bridge safe? I may walk down as far as Marcy Ave. or even Hewes St., depending on the distance and of coarse, the neighborhood. Since I'll have my dog with me, I'll feel somewhat safer than if I was completely alone. Lol. Anyway, thanks for any info.
 #573601  by jnewman

The Williamsburg Bridge has a pediestrian walkway, which is above and to the side of the tracks for almost all the length of the bridge.
The Queensboro's walkway is on the north side of the bridge's lower level.
I know you didn't ask about it, but the Manhattan Bridge walkway is on the outside, next to the tracks.
My opinion is that both ends of the Queensboro are in better neighborhoods than the Williamsburg, but the Brooklyn end of the bridge is OK during the day.
 #573722  by arrow

I know it's too late but I would recommend the Manhattan Bridge. The trains pass right next to you and you have B,D,N,Q trains to look at. The neighborhoods on both ends of the bridge are fine.
 #573920  by SubwayTim

Thanks for the info. I managed to walk across both bridges. I did Queensboro Bridge yesterday evening and Williamsburg Bridge early this afternoon. On both bridges I took a taxi from Manhattan to Queens/Brooklyn then walked back. In Brooklyn, I had the the taxi driver drop me off at the Marcy Ave. Station, then I walked along Broadway to where the G line crosses, photographing the elevated structure and trains along the way. I managed to get some good train photos on the Williamsburg Bridge as well, but whoever put up those mesh screens or fences along the length of the bridge obviously did not have photographers and picture-taking tourists in mind! Of the great views of both the Manhattan and Brooklyn skylines from the bridge, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to take good photos. They should have cut-out sections every so many feet so people can take pictures! Queensboro Bridge is a *little* better, although it does have a chain-link fence along its walkway. Of the four East River bridges (Queensboro, Williamsburg, Manhattan and Brooklyn), I would say the Brooklyn Bridge is the most "photographer friendly" for those who enjoy photographing panoramic views of the skyline from the bridges.
 #575417  by jonnhrr

A good place to get photos of the bridges is from South St. Seaport

Jon
 #575615  by R36 Combine Coach

From the Queensboro pedestrian/bike lane you can catch great views of the BMT at Queensboro Plaza, with trains passing basically next to you on the bridge. Also the Hell Gate Bridge is visible.
 #582829  by jhdeasy

The pedestrian walkway of the Queensboro Bridge (north side, lower level) you used for your trip from Queensboro Plaza to midtown Manhattan was the route of the Queensboro Bridge Railway streetcar (westbound) until it made its last run circa April 1957. The eastbound streetcar used the southside of the lower level.
 #584698  by Wallyhorse

feimotion339 wrote:what is the fastest way to make 1mil in runescape....
http://www.coolrunescape.com/
i am currently making 5k bow string which will get me about 500k but i don't know what to do after that.
if u would like to look at my skills look at the highscores! plz help me.........!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.coolrunescape.com/index.html
http://www.coolrunescape.com/Runescape
Well.. around 3-4 years ago when i heard about runescape from a friend i decided to go check it out, i created 'Chavforlife' lol, you may laugh but it's true, i have no idea what made me think of that name, but yeah..
runescape accounts
But anyway, since then i've only used this account but now it's got to the stage i actually really regret making this name in the first place, everyday my name get's commented by random player's, some "nice" comments suprisingly and some just pure hate which i understand ;p. But like with this name i'm forever getting judged, flamed when they have never actually spoken to me but meh.
runescape cheats
What about you guy's, any of you regret making your runescape account name?

http://www.maplemsmesos.com
SPAM!!!!