Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#43657  by JRHorse

Hey guys.... I'm another fan of subways that has migrated from Subtalk here, and just wanted to say a thank you for the welcome...

I had a question about the weekend GO on the R train, which states that this weekend, Queens-bound trains skip 5 and Lexington Avenues; and next weekend, trains in both directions skip these two stations.

I note that the poster says: For service TO these stations, transfer to the N at 57 Street. For service FROM these stations, take a downtown N to 57 St and transfer to a Queens-bound or Downtown R.

So my question: Isn't this a fancy way of saying that the R will run on the F? Or is this really a direct skip? (If the former is true, why is there no mention of Queens Plaza on the poster?)
 #45633  by Adam E. Moreira

They probably will make an announcement at Times Square that passengers wanting Queens Plaza should take the N or 7 to Queensboro Plaza (3 blocks away), or to transfer via the tunnel to get to Queens Plaza. As for why it is not mentioned, not everything gets mentioned for some reason! (The F train diversion this weekend is a primary example.)

#46267  by 7 Train

Queensboro Plaza station is directly above Queens Plaza (IND) station, not 3 blocks away.
 #46308  by efin98

JRHorse wrote:So my question: Isn't this a fancy way of saying that the R will run on the F? Or is this really a direct skip? (If the former is true, why is there no mention of Queens Plaza on the poster?)
If they are instructing you to take the N then it has to be diverting via the 63rd Street tunnel and the F, and with service already being there via other lines it might have been overlooked that there is no stop at Queens Plaza. Mental error probably, but if it's not running via 63rd but via the 60th street tunnel it should have also said that trains will bypass those stations instead.

At least there is redundant service along the route, so there are plenty of possibilities to get on other trains with a little backtracking.