Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#830492  by OportRailfan

There are 2 dual crossovers I believe in the South St. yard, but its kinda impossible to have an interlocking between Newark Penn and Dock...The tracks are at 2 different levels, and then go to flyovers that end up outside the northeast corridor and eventually Hudson yard.
 #831016  by ExCon90

And don't overlook that the whole reason for that arrangement was for the convenience of passengers--yes, the PRR did things like that. Passengers arriving on H&M trains on the upper level had only to go down the ramp to Tracks 3 and 4, or down the stairs to Track 5, while eastbound passengers arriving on PRR trains on Track 1 or 2 had only to walk across the platform to a waiting H&M train (no turnstiles or barriers, since tickets were lifted by the H&M conductor after departure). No one had to walk upstairs except for those unfortunates arriving on Track A in the morning.
 #831018  by nyrmetros

oh wow just looked at good earth od Newark Penn........ In hindsight of course they should have made a cross over track right before the bridge..... eek!
 #831319  by OportRailfan

nyrmetros wrote:oh wow just looked at good earth od Newark Penn........ In hindsight of course they should have made a cross over track right before the bridge..... eek!
It's already an interesting flyover approach they have with PATH, but I guess they didn't want switch machines suspended up there near Dock Tower.
 #831530  by faxman

Also just east of harison there was a switch to line the track to track 4 and 5 at penn station. The third rail did not go passed this switch.
 #833328  by OportRailfan

faxman wrote:Also just east of harison there was a switch to line the track to track 4 and 5 at penn station. The third rail did not go passed this switch.
I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about. As the track is laid out currently, there is no connection to the NEC other than the one at the east end of the Harrison Car Maintenance Facilty (HCMF). There are no switches near Harrison station connecting to the NEC, as both tracks are on the outside with NEC tracks 1, 2, and 3 between them.
 #833412  by faxman

There was once a switch at east end harison on westbound side .If you notice the track now has a jog to right. The third rail did not go straight but there was over head wire.
 #833616  by OportRailfan

faxman wrote:There was once a switch at east end harison on westbound side .If you notice the track now has a jog to right. The third rail did not go straight but there was over head wire.
Yeah, I've noticed the catenary is still hung in a straight line there...looks like amtrak borrowed/bought the property for a signal bungalow for Dock/Rea.
 #833897  by PONYA

OportRailfan wrote:
faxman wrote:There was once a switch at east end harison on westbound side .If you notice the track now has a jog to right. The third rail did not go straight but there was over head wire.
Yeah, I've noticed the catenary is still hung in a straight line there...looks like amtrak borrowed/bought the property for a signal bungalow for Dock/Rea.

PATH and {H&M} had an old switch just east of westbound Harrison that connected to {AMTRAK right of way} the general railroad network. A vestige of the Manhatten Transfer interlocking? It used to be controlled on PATH as an interlocking signal R30X but now is an automatic signal. Changed within the last 15 years when the connection was removed.
 #834199  by ExCon90

PONYA wrote:
OportRailfan wrote:

PATH and {H&M} had an old switch just east of westbound Harrison that connected to {AMTRAK right of way} the general railroad network. A vestige of the Manhatten Transfer interlocking? It used to be controlled on PATH as an interlocking signal R30X but now is an automatic signal. Changed within the last 15 years when the connection was removed.
If it's what I'm thinking of, back when PRR trains still served Jersey City (until 1961) that would have been where H&M trains diverged from the straight route to reach the Harrison platform while the track from JC continued straight (that switch is now gone, and the track simply slews over). There was a smash board just higher than the roof of an H&M train which extended over the track when the switch was lined for Harrison (and a lighted sign on the mast reading "H-M" was displayed). When the switch was lined straight for a PRR train from JC the smash board was in the vertical (up) position and the "H-M" was extinguished.