Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#545972  by SystemsConsciousness

Does anyone know if this has ever been considered? It seems plenty doable with the addition of a switch at Hoyt Schermerhorn Street Station to route G trains over the A/C line into Manhattan. Perhaps they could join with the E line, so that effectively the E would be extended from WTC in Manhattan to the present G Terminus in Long Island City. This would increase the property values (and taxes) of everything near the G line. Obviously riders would then have to change for Bergen Carroll and Smith Street stops, but there still could be some through G service to these stops at the same time.

Any ideas?

sC
 #546097  by SystemsConsciousness

RearOfSignal wrote:????

Extend the E from WTC to LIC? And go in a big circle? Look at a map that can't even be done logically.
Instead of a look, the C could make that journey up the G train route and the E could extend to where the C presently ends in Brooklyn. Does this make sense to you? It is completely logical and it provides customers along the G route with a single seat ride into Manhattan for little cost.
 #546144  by RearOfSignal

Every other line besides the shuttles in the subway goes into the city, I don't think there is demand for this service when there are so many other options.
 #546146  by SystemsConsciousness

RearOfSignal wrote:Every other line besides the shuttles in the subway goes into the city, I don't think there is demand for this service when there are so many other options.
Why don't you ask people who live on the G train if they would like to go directly into Manhattan or transfer?
 #546170  by Kamen Rider

SystemsConsciousness wrote:
RearOfSignal wrote:Every other line besides the shuttles in the subway goes into the city, I don't think there is demand for this service when there are so many other options.
Why don't you ask people who live on the G train if they would like to go directly into Manhattan or transfer?
everybody wants a one seat ride everywhere. the G was designed to bypass the congestion of the manhattan trunk lines and provide service between brooklyn and queens. it doesn't need to go to manhattan.
 #546208  by SystemsConsciousness

Kamen Rider wrote:
everybody wants a one seat ride everywhere. the G was designed to bypass the congestion of the manhattan trunk lines and provide service between brooklyn and queens. it doesn't need to go to manhattan.
This doesn't make sense. Is there really that much congestion on the A/C line? I smell a "this is the way we have always done it, so it must be the right way" type of thinking. Have you considered the benefits of having direct service to Manhattan for people on this line? The G is often forgotten now, if it is an extension of a Manhattan train it won't be.
 #546233  by mhig9000

The G train has the lowest amount of service on the system, every train is only 4 cars, and they come substantially less frequently than any other line I have ridden. If a new tunnel is built, it might make sense to run the G into Manhattan since it would not disturb other services, however with such low ridership that will never happen. Likewise, it would be very difficult to justify adding a new train to already congested tunnels going into Manhattan with such low ridership.

It could be argued that ridership would increase somewhat if it went into Mahattan, but it would be quicker for people living north of the Myrtle-Willoughby stop to get into Manhattan by taking the G to the L, or the G to the 7 if they lived further north (this also depends on where in Manhattan they're going).

In any case, G service to the financial district seems to be like something that will never be in great demand, given that there are two transfers to trains coming in at 14th and 42nd streets (both of which go all the way to 8th avenue)
 #546234  by RearOfSignal

Who cares if it's forgotten? If people need it they will use it. If they don't they don't. One seat rides on a railroad are one thing, but one seat rides on the subway? I would be interested to know how many straphangers transfer between trains everyday, I would think a very large number. It's just the way it is.

If you extend the (G) into Manhattan what will happen? This is what will happen:

1) Riders on the (G) boarding or departing between Court House Sq. & Nassau Av & Broadway and Fulton St. will be able to continue into Manhattan IF their final destination is along the (A) or (C) routes. Fine. But If their final destination is not along those routes they will transfer anyway. So where's the big advantage? Change at one station a opposed to another, if that's what you want, OK.

2) Riders along the (A) & (C) solely in Manhattan will ride the (G) if it comes first and get off before the (G) splits at Hoyt-Schermerhorn. And the riders boarding or departing between Court House Sq. & Nassau Av & Broadway and Fulton St. will get on. So passengers can take the (G) to the same place that he (A) & (C) takes them inside of Manhattan. Choose between 3 trains going to the same place instead of 2? Alright if you think that's better service, go ahead.

3) The most likely result... No one would care because they don't take the (G) anyway because the vast majority do not travel to or from Manhattan between Court House Sq. & Nassau Av & Broadway and Fulton St.
 #546240  by SystemsConsciousness

mhig9000 wrote:The G train has the lowest amount of service on the system, every train is only 4 cars, and they come substantially less frequently than any other line I have ridden. If a new tunnel is built, it might make sense to run the G into Manhattan since it would not disturb other services, however with such low ridership that will never happen. Likewise, it would be very difficult to justify adding a new train to already congested tunnels going into Manhattan with such low ridership.

It could be argued that ridership would increase somewhat if it went into Mahattan, but it would be quicker for people living north of the Myrtle-Willoughby stop to get into Manhattan by taking the G to the L, or the G to the 7 if they lived further north (this also depends on where in Manhattan they're going).

In any case, G service to the financial district seems to be like something that will never be in great demand, given that there are two transfers to trains coming in at 14th and 42nd streets (both of which go all the way to 8th avenue)
But is there really that much congestion on the A/C tunnel? Perhaps signally could be improved to accommodate more trains. I think there would be a benefit to have the G be a fully functioning train going into Manhattan. Perhaps the reason the service usage is so low is that it doesn't go into Manhattan.
 #546263  by mhig9000

SystemsConsciousness wrote:But is there really that much congestion on the A/C tunnel? Perhaps signally could be improved to accommodate more trains. I think there would be a benefit to have the G be a fully functioning train going into Manhattan. Perhaps the reason the service usage is so low is that it doesn't go into Manhattan.
But what benefit is the service? the A train is directly across the platform from the G train at Hoyt-Schemerhorn, it is one of the most convenient transfers in the city, the only benefit could be time, which would be a maximum of perhaps 5 minutes during rush hour, is that worth any decrease in available capacity for the A/C?
 #546323  by Kamen Rider

mhig9000 wrote:The G train has the lowest amount of service on the system, every train is only 4 cars, and they come substantially less frequently than any other line I have ridden. If a new tunnel is built, it might make sense to run the G into Manhattan since it would not disturb other services, however with such low ridership that will never happen. Likewise, it would be very difficult to justify adding a new train to already congested tunnels going into Manhattan with such low ridership.

But is there really that much congestion on the A/C tunnel? Perhaps signally could be improved to accommodate more trains. I think there would be a benefit to have the G be a fully functioning train going into Manhattan. Perhaps the reason the service usage is so low is that it doesn't go into Manhattan.
OK, frist off; it's not a "this is the way it's always been done so it must be right" mind set; it's a "this is the purpose the object was created for, therefor it must do the job it was given".

Also, the cranberry tube is a bottle neck with two tracks full of every A and C train. where the two lines meet (canal going S/B, H/S going north) there arelready delays cuased by the two shareing space. The one must wait until the other clears far enough. and you want to add a third train to this mess?

next; H/S's design puts the G on a grade coming into the station at both ends. it's not level enough with A3 & A4.
 #546396  by SystemsConsciousness

Kamen Rider wrote:

OK, frist off; it's not a "this is the way it's always been done so it must be right" mind set; it's a "this is the purpose the object was created for, therefor it must do the job it was given".

Also, the cranberry tube is a bottle neck with two tracks full of every A and C train. where the two lines meet (canal going S/B, H/S going north) there arelready delays cuased by the two shareing space. The one must wait until the other clears far enough. and you want to add a third train to this mess?

next; H/S's design puts the G on a grade coming into the station at both ends. it's not level enough with A3 & A4.
You make one very good point and one point I need to understand better.

1. If there are problems accommodating more trains during rush hour, then offer G service to Manhattan when tunnel space can accommodate (IE outside the highest peak times). But once new signaling is installed the Tunnels will be able to accommodate an increased number of trains this would change.

2. What is the problem with switching tracks at H/S? From the track diagrams it looked pretty straightforward.

Thank you,

sC
 #546406  by Kamen Rider

SystemsConsciousness wrote: You make one very good point and one point I need to understand better.

1. If there are problems accommodating more trains during rush hour, then offer G service to Manhattan when tunnel space can accommodate (IE outside the highest peak times). But once new signaling is installed the Tunnels will be able to accommodate an increased number of trains this would change.

2. What is the problem with switching tracks at H/S? From the track diagrams it looked pretty straightforward.

Thank you,

sC
the track diagrams are 2D. they don't depict the exact conditions of the tracks.

and when they put new signals, why should they cut off space for the A and C in favor of the G? it would be ten times faster for G riders to just go to Metropolitan and grab the L, instead of going the roundabout way.

do you work for transit? have you worked for transit, or a contractor for transit. if not, please just do us a favor and SHUT UP!
 #546414  by SystemsConsciousness

Kamen Rider wrote:
SystemsConsciousness wrote: You make one very good point and one point I need to understand better.

Thank you,

sC
the track diagrams are 2D. they don't depict the exact conditions of the tracks.

and when they put new signals, why should they cut off space for the A and C in favor of the G? it would be ten times faster for G riders to just go to Metropolitan and grab the L, instead of going the roundabout way.

do you work for transit? have you worked for transit, or a contractor for transit. if not, please just do us a favor and SHUT UP!
You seem very upset. Have you tried anger management training? I enjoy yoga and meditation. What about diet?

I didn't realize that this forum was restricted to those who work for transit. When did this become the rule?

The L is not the most reliable train, especially on the weekends. And the brilliance of the NYC subway system is its redundancy.

This topic seems to be particularly upsetting to you. Why is that? What times of day are the A/C tunnels filled up? It would seem to me to be pretty clear after 10am until 4pm and then after 7pm clear again. Where did you get the figure 10 times faster? I never realized it was faster to get to canal street from the G line via the L to 14 & 8 Avenue rather than a single seat ride. Is this what you learned in transit school?