Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#42124  by Franklin Gowen

Greetings. I have some questions that I *know* I don't have the answers for...here we go:

I find myself in the position of very likely needing to make a trip from Philadelphia PA to Rego Park NY later this month. Getting to NY Penn isn't a problem. But from there, I'm lost. I haven't much mass transit experience outside of Manhattan.

I was told that the 'R' subway *should* get me where I need to be (around 67th Avenue, near St. John's Cemetery), but it looks like there may be other rail routes as well. Bear in mind that since Philly has a grand total of 2 heavy-rail subway lines, the NY MTA intimidates the hell out of me. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but it's true. Each time I visit NYC, I get lost on the subway at least once...not so bad if railfanning on my own time, but I can't afford that on this particular upcoming trip. Where would I pick up this line, and would it be reasonably safe to ride to Rego Park?

I'm told that the LIRR has a station near Rego Park, at Forest Hills. Would this be east or west of Jamaica, and would you describe this as safer or less safe than using the subway? Does this station have a ticket agency, or is it just a strip of asphalt at track level? (Remember, I'm used to SEPTA's 19th Century version of commuter rail!) If this is a markedly faster/convenient trip than the subway, I might consider if even if I had to make a connection to where I'm going.

I don't know anything about the area of my destination, and I welcome any and all tips for travel. I may cross-post this request on other forums here.

#42144  by 7 Train

You can board the R at 34 St/Broadway, 1 block east of NY Penn Station. The R is a relatively safe line and serves many residential areas.

The LIRR Forest Hills station is west of Jamaica and has a station agent. It is open weekdays only, 6:25 am to 9:50 am.

The fare from NY Penn to Forest Hills one way is $5.50 peak, $3.75 off peak. CityTicket is available on weekends for $2.50.

For more info on Forest Hills station:

http://www.nyct.org/lirr/html/ttn/foresthi.htm

#42151  by GP38

Franklyn, probably the easiest way to get from Penn Station to Rego Park is to take the E subway train towards Queens. (The E is available right at Penn Station). The E is express, so you will then have to get off at Roosevelt Ave, walk across the platform, and take the R train on the local track three stops to 67th Ave. It's really simple. All those lines are totally safe all times of day.
It's a very straight forward subway ride, and the simplest "cross the platform transfer" you can get.
But if the subway really does intimidate you (and this route certainl;y shouldn't), and you really want to take the LIRR instead, the Forest Hills station is pretty easy to get to from Penn Station, and it is a "real" station, not some clearing along the tracks. The only thing to keep in mind though is that you have to be either in the front or back of the train, because I think the platform at Forest Hills is only a half train length long, and the whole train won't platform there. (just go to the middle of the train and ask the conductor at Penn Station if you are in the right car for Forest Hills).
Personally, I would take the subway, but that's my preference, and once out at Forest Hills LIRR station, you do have quite a few blocks to walk back to Rego park, while the subway would have left you right in the middle of Rego Park. But it's not "that" far of a walk, and a perfectly safe neighborhood at all times of day.
Here's a link to the subway map if you need it. It will also show you were Forest Hills is in relation to Rego Park (at 67th St station subway) if you choose to take the LIRR.
http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf
Last edited by GP38 on Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #42153  by N.Y. State Of Mind

Franklin Gowen wrote:Does this station have a ticket agency, or is it just a strip of asphalt at track level? (Remember, I'm used to SEPTA's 19th Century version of commuter rail!)
Quite a lot of stations have ticket offices, but almost all stations have ticket vending machines. Those vending machines are eons ahead of SEPTA's ticket vending machines. Sure, all you have to do on SEPTA's machines is press which zone you want to travel to, and then specify if you want an adult ticket, a senior ticket, etc..., but it won't accept any bill that is not in immaculate condition. And you don't have to worry about tha strip of asphalt part, all LIRR and east-of-Hudson MNRR stations have high-level platforms. In fact, I think low-level platforms are as useful as 5.25" diskettes.

#42154  by 7 Train

Virtually all LIRR stations except for some on the outer Montauk and Greenport branches have ticket vending machines.

#42385  by Franklin Gowen

Thank you all for this information. You've been very helpful! I can now make some informed decisions if this trip becomes required.

#45383  by ctaman34

i think you should go by subway and take the E to 71st st
 #45650  by Head-end View

The above mentioned subway route via the E with transfer to the R train is probably the most efficient and economical way to go. In Penn Sta. follow signs to the A-C-E lines (8th Ave) subway. That's near the Amtrak end of Penn Sta. Board the E train at the Uptown/Queens platform, NOT the Downtown platform.

On the E train, transfer to the local at Roosevelt Ave-Jackson Heights station; it's the next stop after Queens Plaza. Across the platform take whatever local train comes first, could be the R, V, or G depending on time and day of the week. They all make the same local stops. And it's 5 stops to 67th Ave.

One other point. A poster above said these lines are perfectly safe. I don't quite agree. These areas are relatively safe most times of day, but there is no such thing as totally safe in New York City. Isolated incidents do happen. Not trying to scare you here; just maintain a healthy perspective. I'm sure you'll do fine; sit back and enjoy the ride. :-)

#45701  by 7 Train

The R runs on Queens Blvd all times except nights. The V runs weekdays only and G weekends and nights.