Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#635713  by AndyB

Gentlemen, bear with me.
Why would the MTA need four locomotives like this on Staten Island?
 #635879  by LIengineerBob

All four were off-loaded and inside the shops by 130pm. Quite an interesting thing to watch. The barge and crane were huge. The Alco's are still there, and from the information I received while I was watching the operation, they will be scrapped on-site. It proved too expensive for the tourist road to move them off Staten Island and up to Maine. The two NYCTA GE's will be sent back to the Transit Authority via truck.

After a three week break-in period you should see them on the road in service.
 #635892  by Kuyahoora Valley

How did they get from the pier to the engine house? I heard both trucking and laying temporary track to the pier.

The crane/barge company, Weeks, would not provide a quote to the prospective buyers of the ALCOs so it was very risky to bid without knowing the costs involved in getting them back to New Jersey.
 #635911  by LIengineerBob

They were lifted from the barge which was held in place off shore by a few tugs (there is no place to tie up in that area....at least safely), placed on low-boy high capacity trailers and towed a short distance (about 75 to 100 feet) to the Clifton yard to where they were once again lifted by another crane and placed on the rails in the yard.

It was interesting to watch, and amazingly, it was all accomplished in about 4 hours.

Sorry, no photos, I was a "guest" of the SIRT at the time and was asked not to take photos.
 #636170  by Kamen Rider

AndyB wrote:Gentlemen, bear with me.
Why would the MTA need four locomotives like this on Staten Island?
this is what happens when you buy in bulk. :)

eriously, this is one to one replacment of SIRs existing locomotive fleet. 4 coming in, 4 going out.