Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#539773  by NYrailfan

Heard it thru the grape vine, SIRT will be getting a few (unknown how many) of The BL20GH locomotives by the end of the year to replace there locomotive fleet. Here is a question…
-Since the SIRT does not have any connecting tracks with AK Bridge, how will they get them to the SIRT? A 265,000 lbs, 15'4 inch locomotive is not easy to move w/o tracks. I do not think they can be trucked because of height restrictions on under passes, power lines and traffic lights. Is there a trailer that can handle that much weight? Any ideas? Barge maybe?

Peter

#540611  by TheKornGuy

They will absolutely be trucked in... do you see the size of the boats and even HOUSES that cross the GWB sometimes? Its defiantly possible.
 #559294  by TheKornGuy

I believe the case is that tracks do exists but they are abandoned and in bad shape.
 #559396  by jtunnel

No continuous track from AK to St George. Some of the RofW is eroded away, other removed or paved over. New track for the container terminal also put a bumping block at the new end of track "east" of the container yard. At the RH Tugs restaurant they made "mock ups" of the track that run out on the water side or the place, broad gauge. :-D
 #563382  by hrfcarl

Otto Vondrak wrote:Okay, for some reason I thought there was a vestigial remnant that still ran out to AK.

-otto-
From this thread http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... a&start=15 Ms. Bly indicated the N.Shore RR of SI was mostly intact from AK Bridge to St. George until the 1990s. There was a web site (cannot find it yet) that had pictures of the ROW around 2000 or so and IIRC there was some pics of wash out as indicated by jtunnel. This ROW was part of one of the still born Cross Harbor plans. Somewhere on this board it was mentioned that NJT was interested in this ROW as well (allow riders to connect to SI Ferry to lower Manhattan). So exactly how much is available is confusing.
 #570340  by amtbuff

Wow.. never thought I would see these up here. These are Washington D.C metro cars.I know this might be off topic but the metro only uses Engineers to run and open doors. Does this mean they might phase out the last of the conductors as well? Just wondering?
 #570513  by Kamen Rider

amtbuff wrote:Wow.. never thought I would see these up here. These are Washington D.C metro cars.I know this might be off topic but the metro only uses Engineers to run and open doors. Does this mean they might phase out the last of the conductors as well? Just wondering?
Um, how to put this. The OP wanted to know if there was a trailer big enough to carry a locomotive. I went in search of a pic on the net and that was the best i could find. I used it over an R160 becuase metro cars are 15 feet longer. the R44s and 46s came by rail and I've never seen how the R68/As were delivered. It was just an example. the new locos will be the same as the new MNCRR/CDOT units. metro has nothing to do with this discussion.
 #572460  by lb101

The deal is that the SIRT will be setting up a float bridge to bring in the new BL-20 and in the same day they will be sending out the S1 on the same barge to their future home. Also the story is that this will take place in November.
 #611992  by Alcoman

lb101 wrote:The deal is that the SIRT will be setting up a float bridge to bring in the new BL-20 and in the same day they will be sending out the S1 on the same barge to their future home. Also the story is that this will take place in November.

Who bought the Alco S-1 ?
 #612147  by Kuyahoora Valley

As of today they haven't accepted any bids. They wanted the locomotives to go as a package deal. The price to ship them out plays a big part in the ability to make the purchase viable. Apparently scrappers are not bidding so that's some good news.