Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#560439  by railroadManager

I don't know about the NYCTA, but a railroad has a certain definition of when you would need to take a RWP class. For contractors, I believe if you come within 15 feet of the field side of the rail, you have potential to foul. RR employees, the potential is 4 feet. They have a different standard for different groups. I wouldn't be surprised if this guy is entitled to some training. The FRA requires that the RR supply the training to contractors working on or about the ROW.
 #564951  by StevieC48

I know at the MBTA in Boston,anyone who has to have acess to the ROW including the transit police officers has to take a ROW class and get their bi yearly certificate to be on the ROW. This lso includes contractors and subcontractors.
 #565905  by jomak_nyc

You just need an orange MTA safety vest. I have plenty extras.

The fact of the matter is... you won't ever be down there unsupervised. You'll get your instructions from whoever is accompanying you. The train operators operating around you should know what to do when they encounter personnel on the roadbed. Oh, and a bit of common sense would come in handy as well. Be safe - happy shooting!!
 #572031  by arrow

StevieC48 wrote:I know at the MBTA in Boston,anyone who has to have acess to the ROW including the transit police officers has to take a ROW class and get their bi yearly certificate to be on the ROW. This lso includes contractors and subcontractors.
That's correct on NYCT as well. You'll get a sealed paper ID card valid for 2 years and also a green sticker for your hard hat indicating that you've succesfully completed the training course. The course has both NYCT and non-NYCT employees in it.

Re:

#643905  by FRIEDCHIKKIN

jlr3266 wrote:
TacSupport1 wrote:I think there's a misunderstanding....I think I'm talking about a general track safety class for non-railroad personel who have to work by the tracks, and you're talking about the hardcore, railroad personel class.
There is only one class. NYCT employee or third party.
Agreed... and "third-party" is a rarity because non-MTA access REQUIRES utilization of MTA NYCT-trained construction flaggers.