Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#538394  by BobLI

Or Is Nellybly saying that the SIRT has a NYCTA geometry car on their property? I thought that car only stayed on the "mainland"
 #681776  by DaveBarraza

The R44's were single units as delivered, SIRT was just never changed. Field shunting was never removed. Cabs equipped ~2004 for PRR-style cab signaling.
 #690920  by Fan Railer

DaveBarraza wrote:The R44's were single units as delivered, SIRT was just never changed. Field shunting was never removed. Cabs equipped ~2004 for PRR-style cab signaling.
if field shunting was never removed, than why are the cars always so slow? or is it because it's never used?
:(
 #698451  by jtunnel

just a technical note, SIRT started out as a B&O operation. Signals are of the B&O color position type. Traces of the B&O live on.
 #707463  by www123

DaveBarraza wrote:The R44's were single units as delivered, SIRT was just never changed. Field shunting was never removed. Cabs equipped ~2004 for PRR-style cab signaling.
I wonder, what was the reason behind selecting cab signaling for SIRT? NYCT spent a lot of time in the 90ties debating what signal system to upgrade to, chose CBTC and then all of a sudden they take this step backward and install cab signaling on the line.
 #707657  by jonnhrr

www123 wrote:
I wonder, what was the reason behind selecting cab signaling for SIRT? NYCT spent a lot of time in the 90ties debating what signal system to upgrade to, chose CBTC and then all of a sudden they take this step backward and install cab signaling on the line.
Maybe because unlike CBTC cab signaling actually works :-)

Jon
 #776882  by MNR's #1 Conductor

The 4 engines you mentioned are the BL-20Gs, much similar to the MNR/CDOT BL-20GH, exception being that the BL-20Gs cannot provide head end power for a passenger train. They were trucked over to Clifton Yard.

And the SIRT is actually physically disconnected from the national railroad network, as the North Shore Line in sections has been completely removed and built over, and what does remain is in such bad shape of disrepair it would take a very high dollar value to rebuild the right of way, some of which along the shore line there has eroded away. In its heyday, the North Shore was connected to the current SIRT system, and was once part of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, and extended from Tottenville to Cranford, NJ via the AK Drawbridge, Arlington Yard, and also a branch to South Beach (the South Beach branch was abandoned in 1953) and a branch to Fresh Kills, which is now active as a rail connection for removal of trash from the Fresh Kills Landfill, and I believe there is now another customer on that line since CSX and Conrail Shared Assets began serving this branch. New York Susquehanna & Western once ran freight service in and out of Arlington Yard, albeit few times a week, between Cranford Junction (NJ) and Arlington Yard, but gave up the operation in, I believe, 1990.

Now, CSX and NY Container Terminal Railroad, run service on the SI line between a connection to the Chemical Coast Secondary at Bayway, over the AK Drawbridge, to Arlington Yard and Howland Hook Marine Terminal, with NY Container Terminal Railroad handling freight work at Arlington Yard and new rail connections to the Howland Hook Marine Terminal, and CSX running intermodal and trash trains off Staten Island.

Re:

#777127  by railfan365

Kamen Rider wrote:
M&Eman wrote:How exactly were the SIRT R44s modified to comply with FRA specs?
They are single units, two tone horns, grab handles on doors ( since removed) modifed control.
The Staten Island R44's weren't modified to be separate. The NTC TA ones were modified to be permanent groups of 4.
 #780395  by Jayjay1213

MNR's #1 Conductor wrote:Now, CSX and NY Container Terminal Railroad, run service on the SI line between a connection to the Chemical Coast Secondary at Bayway, over the AK Drawbridge, to Arlington Yard and Howland Hook Marine Terminal, with NY Container Terminal Railroad handling freight work at Arlington Yard and new rail connections to the Howland Hook Marine Terminal, and CSX running intermodal and trash trains off Staten Island

Actually it is run by Conrail Shared Assets crews. CSX crews just hand the train over to the Conrail crews usually by the Port Newark yard office or whereever is convient at the time...
 #784384  by hrfcarl

MNR's #1 Conductor wrote:And the SIRT is actually physically disconnected from the national railroad network, as the North Shore Line in sections has been completely removed and built over, and what does remain is in such bad shape of disrepair it would take a very high dollar value to rebuild the right of way, some of which along the shore line there has eroded away. In its heyday, the North Shore was connected to the current SIRT system, and was once part of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, and extended from Tottenville to Cranford, NJ via the AK Drawbridge, Arlington Yard, and also a branch to South Beach (the South Beach branch was abandoned in 1953) and a branch to Fresh Kills, which is now active as a rail connection for removal of trash from the Fresh Kills Landfill, and I believe there is now another customer on that line since CSX and Conrail Shared Assets began serving this branch. New York Susquehanna & Western once ran freight service in and out of Arlington Yard, albeit few times a week, between Cranford Junction (NJ) and Arlington Yard, but gave up the operation in, I believe, 1990.
Jayjay1213 wrote:Actually it is run by Conrail Shared Assets crews. CSX crews just hand the train over to the Conrail crews usually by the Port Newark yard office or whereever is convient at the time...
I am confused as to who actually owns the N.Shore branch (both active and unused/remaining ROWs) and the Arlington Yard? PA NY/NJ? MTA? NYC? Or combo of these agencies? Thanks.
 #784872  by R36 Combine Coach

The disused SIR North Shore Branch is owned by the City of New York, Arthur Kill Lift Bridge is owned by PANYNJ. The long-dormant section in Union County (recently reopened by Morristown & Erie) is owned by Union County and NJ DOT.
 #1513953  by XBNSFer

MNR's #1 Conductor wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:58 am And the SIRT is actually physically disconnected from the national railroad network, as the North Shore Line in sections has been completely removed and built over, and what does remain is in such bad shape of disrepair it would take a very high dollar value to rebuild the right of way, some of which along the shore line there has eroded away.
To my knowledge, none of the North Shore Line ROW has been built over. The portion built on fill along the Kill Van Kull is largely washed out and yes, the whole thing would need to be rebuilt if they ever intent to be able to use it again (hint: they don't, because NYC doesn't give a rat's kiester about Staten Island).