Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#558544  by OportRailfan

I honestly think that's unlikely, being that the PATH infrastructure is already there, and they're going to capitalize on their Harrison location
 #558843  by fredct

OportRailfan wrote:I honestly think that's unlikely, being that the PATH infrastructure is already there, and they're going to capitalize on their Harrison location
But do they really think that anyone without a monthly pass already is going to pay $1.75 to go barely half a mile? Nevermind $3.50 with a friend/spouse or $7 or so for a family? Nevermind double *that* with a return trip.

Btw, is the Jackson St bridge between the Ironbound and Harrison walkable? If so, seems like you've found your 'pedestrian bridge' (its just under a mile from Newark Penn to near the Harrison PATH station going that way)
 #558995  by OportRailfan

In the wintertime...probably yes, some people are lazy and don't wanna walk it...summertime, you'd probably see a lower number, at least those going from NWK to Harrison
 #559096  by fredct

OportRailfan wrote:In the wintertime...probably yes, some people are lazy and don't wanna walk it...summertime, you'd probably see a lower number, at least those going from NWK to Harrison
Unfortunately for them, the MLS season is substantially in the summer, and since its an open air arena, I don't think they'll be having too many other winter events, especially with the Rock within spitting distance.
 #562017  by henry6

The old station on the Morristown Line you refer to is not PATH but former DL&W, later EL, station, now on NJT's Morristown Line. PATH Harrison station, stradling the Amtrak/NJT Corridor is in service.
 #563149  by Tommy Meehan

I'm pretty sure -- not positive though -- the Harrison-EL station has been completely dismantled.

What adult is going to walk from Newark Penn Station to Harrison to save a $1.75? The closest pedestrian access that I know of is Bridge Street, several stops north of Newark Penn on the Light Rail to Broad Street. I don't know about Jackson Avenue. Walking down Ferry Street through the Ironbound section? But I'm sure it's a good 30-40 minute walk. And then you walk back afterwards? This on a night out with friends?

Actually I have walked from Harrison-PATH to Newark via the bridge, but I was going to the Newark Public Library (which is about three blocks south of the Broad Street passenger station, a long way from Newark Penn Station).

Even walking from Newark Broad Street station to the Newark Library. It's only a few blocks but man that's a tough urban neighborhood. And so is the Ironbound section. I don't have a real problem with that, I've lived in some tough neighborhoods, I feel I can handle myself. But if you're uncomfortable in that type environment then it's probably not a good idea to do it.
 #563199  by fredct

Jackson St is probably more direct than Bridge St. And it's about a mile I think which is no more than a 15-20 minute walk. To save $7 round trip for 2 and get some needed exercise, I'm an adult who would do that.
 #563388  by Marv95

Tommy Meehan wrote:I'm pretty sure -- not positive though -- the Harrison-EL station has been completely dismantled.

What adult is going to walk from Newark Penn Station to Harrison to save a $1.75? The closest pedestrian access that I know of is Bridge Street, several stops north of Newark Penn on the Light Rail to Broad Street. I don't know about Jackson Avenue. Walking down Ferry Street through the Ironbound section? But I'm sure it's a good 30-40 minute walk. And then you walk back afterwards? This on a night out with friends?

Actually I have walked from Harrison-PATH to Newark via the bridge, but I was going to the Newark Public Library (which is about three blocks south of the Broad Street passenger station, a long way from Newark Penn Station).

Even walking from Newark Broad Street station to the Newark Library. It's only a few blocks but man that's a tough urban neighborhood. And so is the Ironbound section. I don't have a real problem with that, I've lived in some tough neighborhoods, I feel I can handle myself. But if you're uncomfortable in that type environment then it's probably not a good idea to do it.
You couldn't be more wrong.

First off like someone said, Jackson St is more direct and quicker. And it's not a 30-40 minute walk unless it's a snow/rainstorm. Bridge Street to Harrison is nowhere near the PATH or the stadium site; it's about a mile or so away.

As far as walking between Broad St station and the library, I didn't know a baseball stadium and a couple of office buildings are scary. If you're walking along University Ave instead of Broad St. that's your issue. And Ferry St to Jackson St is where the restaurants are at. I'd be more cautious going by the Passaic River into Harrison when there's wasteland.
 #566021  by jamesrileyjr

RE: Jackson St. Bridge, yes it's open to pedestrians, but no one would seriously walk across it to get from PATH to Penn Station, only because it's an obscene amount of walking and even if you wanted to avoid paying 1.75 for the PATH, you could just pay 1.35 for the NJT Bus (#40) instead.

RE: Newark Library, yes it can be a scary neighborhood, if you've never been to a real city before (no, Montclair does not count). You don't need to walk there from Broad Street Station, though - the City Subway has a stop on Washington Avenue which is seriously across the street from it. And since fares are good for 45 minutes, the same ticket will get you from Newark Penn to Washington Avenue.
 #566354  by fredct

jamesrileyjr wrote:RE: Jackson St. Bridge, yes it's open to pedestrians, but no one would seriously walk across it to get from PATH to Penn Station, only because it's an obscene amount of walking and even if you wanted to avoid paying 1.75 for the PATH, you could just pay 1.35 for the NJT Bus (#40) instead.
An obscene amount of walking? A mile? That's 20 NYC blocks. Its not short, but by no means is it obscene. I try to take walks longer than that on a regular basis (not that I always do), just to get some exercise. A few weeks ago I walked a mile and a half to and back from a grocery store just to get some exercise and save some gas when I had the day off (very little gas saved, I realize, it was mostly about getting out and getting some exercise).

Doing something like that for a daily routine is a bit much, but unless you have some medical condition or something that makes walking difficult, we'd probably all be a lot better off if we took mile walks more often. The idea of doing it to save $7 (2 people, round trip), is just a bonus. When Red Bull Park opens, I will go to a game to see the new park, despite not being a soccer fan, and I will walk from Newark Penn to the stadium via Jackson St in the process. I may even leave time to stop in the Ironbound for some food on the way over.
 #566362  by jamesrileyjr

Yes, it'd be considered obscene if you were the sort of person expecting not to have to hike a mile when you could get a bus or train instead.

FWIW, I walk the same distance to work from NYPS every day to save on NYC subway fare, and as a commute it's fine for me - I wouldn't ask friends of mine to do this as a one-off only because A) they'd probably get lost B) they'd be exhausted by the time they got here and C) they'd slap me upside the head for telling them to walk instead of get there faster by just paying two bucks.
 #566716  by ryanov

Tommy Meehan wrote:
Marv95 wrote: You couldn't be more wrong.
Just say you don't agree and skip the personal comments please, okay Marv? Thanks.
Saying that downtown Newark is a rough/scary area is false, unless you're afraid of Verizon HQ (which I could almost understand). There is not really room agreement/disagreement on this one. As a Newark resident, I sorta get tired of any street that has a closed shop on it being labeled "rough and tumble" etc.

Let's inject a little reality into this "obscenely long walk," shall we? Google Maps says under a mile and 18 mins. Not exactly endurance training we're talking about here.

I heard a rumor, though, that a pedestrian bridge would be built from the NJPAC area to the other side near the soccer stadium. This would benefit me somewhat as I live near Broad and Raymond, but it certainly is walkable without. If not? Take the 40 bus.

On the subject of Harrison station on the M&E, yes, it's dismantled. There are actually tracks on the "platform." Could be fixed I suppose, but it's not exactly close either.