Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#523435  by jtrain22

1]There are R160As running full time on the M line.

2]Theres is one set of R42s on the A line. Expect more R42s to hit the A line over the next coming months. These R42 sets will replace the phase I R32s at pikin yard.

3]Some phase II R32s from jamaica have been retired. The phase I R32 from pikin will replace the phase II R32s from jamaica yard.

4]Expect to see R40Ms from the B come to the A line. Once more R160s come into service and R68s come on the B. The R40Ms will overflow to the A line.

thats about it if i forgot something feel free to add.

#523519  by Kamen Rider

Transit doesn't scrap any more, it reefs. and the R32s will be reefed.

#523572  by Robert Paniagua

Well still, they shouldn't reef them, they ought to be kept for work motors or for fantrips or for contingency purposes. I wouldn't reef/scrap them.

Save the R32s! :-)

#523679  by jtrain22

Robert Paniagua wrote:I hope they save those retired R32s, they were unique and nostalgic. Don't scrap them!!
They will save a pair for the museum most likey. And they might restore one car to their pre GOH look. Being that they restored the R30s and R36WF to its pre GOH look....

#523821  by Kamen Rider

Robert Paniagua wrote:Well still, they shouldn't reef them, they ought to be kept for work motors or for fantrips or for contingency purposes. I wouldn't reef/scrap them.

Save the R32s! :-)
they're useless as work motors. the TA only uses A div size cars, with the sole exception of the R40 garbage trains in summer as the R127/134s don't have AC.

#523950  by Robert Paniagua

they're useless as work motors. the TA only uses A div size cars, with the sole exception of the R40 garbage trains in summer as the R127/134s don't have AC.

OIC, The R33/36/22/21s are better suited the, probably so that it can go throughout the entire system both A div and B div since the longer cars of the B division are too long for A division operation.

#524709  by CComMack

Earlier rumors had the R-38s and R-44s slated for reefing before the R-32s. Why the change? Have the delays in R-160 delivery put the kibosh on running the R-32s any longer, now that they're 44 years old?

#524766  by jtrain22

CComMack wrote:Earlier rumors had the R-38s and R-44s slated for reefing before the R-32s. Why the change? Have the delays in R-160 delivery put the kibosh on running the R-32s any longer, now that they're 44 years old?
The phase II R32s are currently getting reefed along with the R38s. The phase I R32s are staying and are going to jamaica yard. The R44s will get an mini overhaul to extend their life a few years. And then will be repalced by the R179s in 2015 i belive. So the phase I R32s and the R44s will be around for a while..

#524935  by arrow

Glad to hear the R44s will be around for awhile longer, I always enjoy riding in those. Now that the A train is getting some of the B's R40s, the ride won't be quite as nice.