Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#520084  by newjackRR

I not sure if it was on the forum but i remember reading somewhere about an unused station on the Fulton Street A line the may or may not exist. Can anyone help with this ?

#520120  by Kamen Rider

76th street, the Atlantis of the subway. some say it's there, some say it's not.

#520522  by Allan

76th Street was a planned station that would have been the next station after Euclid Avenue. There are some minor indications on various tower model boards showing some lead tracks but the abruptly end.

The rumor is that the station was actually built and is behind a wall but no one has ever found any evidence of it actually being built.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewforu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 7cf9a3b857
Last edited by Allan on Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #520525  by Allan

newjackRR wrote:I not sure if it was on the forum but i remember reading somewhere about an unused station on the Fulton Street A line the may or may not exist. Can anyone help with this ?
There is an upper level station at Utica Avenue on the A. A station shell was built in prepartion for the IND Second system which, of course, never was constructed.

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/stations?217:2885

#520963  by Allan

My apologies. The above link is not right.

http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/abandoned/76st.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please note that the article in the link above was done for an April Fool's day some years ago so don't take it too seriously (the diagram at the bottom is fairly close to the idea of a 76th St station though).

#521331  by UpperHarlemLine4ever

Which link is the April Fool's joke, Joe Brennan's or the link in the captioned article? If it's Joe Brennan's you're telling me that the photos and the rest are all bogus?

#521342  by Allan

Joe Brennan's article is bogus - his April Fool's Day 2002 joke. The photo of the train at 76th Street was photoshopped. The one with the model board is real (I compared with the book "Under the Sidewalks of New York that was referenced) the narrative that Brennan uses was written by him. The drawn diagram is probably real but may have been created for the ERA publication in 2001. As far as the Hagstrom maps are concerned, I have to say they are probably edited to add 76th St because the font used us different from the rest of the map.

#521402  by Kamen Rider

UpperHarlemLine4ever wrote:Which link is the April Fool's joke, Joe Brennan's or the link in the captioned article? If it's Joe Brennan's you're telling me that the photos and the rest are all bogus?

The only the R10 pic and the hagstrom subway map are 100% bogus. The track maps might be based on construction documentation. and as stated, the Model board is real. I've seen a drawing of the Pitken yard track plan with a set of lead tracks labled To 76th street. they also appered in real old copies of Peter Dougherty's track book.

A friend of mine was down at the bulkhead once and says he saw a signal on A2 pointing AT THE WALL.