Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1036348  by 25Hz

Hey, i miss the view too. I like looking at the intermodal yard now that the front view is gone, lots of interesting locomotives spotted there over the years, including UP and BNSF units far from home.
 #1057640  by Terrapin Station

25Hz wrote:Hey, i miss the view too. I like looking at the intermodal yard now that the front view is gone, lots of interesting locomotives spotted there over the years, including UP and BNSF units far from home.
You mentioned earlier that sometimes the RFW on the PA-5 cars is accessible. Have you found this to be the case at all in during 2012 thus far?
 #1065384  by 25Hz

Terrapin Station wrote:
25Hz wrote:Hey, i miss the view too. I like looking at the intermodal yard now that the front view is gone, lots of interesting locomotives spotted there over the years, including UP and BNSF units far from home.
You mentioned earlier that sometimes the RFW on the PA-5 cars is accessible. Have you found this to be the case at all in during 2012 thus far?
I have not been up in the area yet this year, however i'm going soon. I have not seen the inner door open since summer of 2010, and it was on one train of the 4 i rode that day. In light of the recent shootings and other events i doubt they would have the inner door open anymore.
 #1065395  by Terrapin Station

25Hz wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:
I have not been up in the area yet this year, however i'm going soon. I have not seen the inner door open since summer of 2010, and it was on one train of the 4 i rode that day. In light of the recent shootings and other events i doubt they would have the inner door open anymore.
Ok thanks. Please report back what you find during your visit.
 #1088894  by Head-end View

Nyrmetros, how were you able to "squint and look throught the front?" Was the cab door swung into the "corner-cab" configuration? Normally with the cab-door closed you can't see thru it, 'cause it's a solid door. And you can't see thru the little window in the left side, except into the left side of the cab.
 #1089108  by Fan Railer

Head-end View wrote:Nyrmetros, how were you able to "squint and look throught the front?" Was the cab door swung into the "corner-cab" configuration? Normally with the cab-door closed you can't see thru it, 'cause it's a solid door. And you can't see thru the little window in the left side, except into the left side of the cab.
You can see through the hinges of the cab door and view the driver's area and a bit of the driver's side window.... But doing that makes you look kind of suspicious.
 #1094100  by nyrmetros

Head-end View wrote:Nyrmetros, how were you able to "squint and look throught the front?" Was the cab door swung into the "corner-cab" configuration? Normally with the cab-door closed you can't see thru it, 'cause it's a solid door. And you can't see thru the little window in the left side, except into the left side of the cab.
The train operator left the cab door open ever so slightly. I was standing next to the door straining my neck to get a look. I probably looked like I was twitching to other people on the train. lol.
 #1097619  by 25Hz

nyrmetros wrote:
The train operator left the cab door open ever so slightly. I was standing next to the door straining my neck to get a look. I probably looked like I was twitching to other people on the train. lol.
No one really cares if you look weird, they are usually too busy lost in their own lil world. Talked with a PA engineer (physical plant, not T/O) from by the yard past harrison station all the way to grove street all abut their plans for the future of the system and the stuff they've recently corrected/updated. We agreed that not being able to see out the front of the train was weird & had no real reason. Riders had no input on the design. We also laughed at the tv-info screens which are only useful if you're 5 foot 5 or sitting on the opposing side due to the grab bar being in the way. The one bridge was opening so i got to talk to him for a good 30 minutes. He was telling me that a few of his engineer (train operator) friends do keep the inner door closed forward during the daytime, but at night they close it across.
 #1097884  by Head-end View

25Hz, did that plant engineer happen to mention how the conductors feel about having lost the front view. Since they are stationed at the rear of the first car, I imagine it must annoy them too, not to be able to look all the way thru out the front. You'd think the PA would have taken that into consideration........or maybe they just decided the conductor doesn't need to see out the front.

BTW, some time ago I told the Port Authority what I thought of their new cab design via e-mail thru their website, and they responded that they needed the full-cab design so they could mount the newly required "positive-train-control" equipment in the left-side of the cab. I don't buy that of course. I think it was just public-relations B/S, but that was their official response to my inquiry.
 #1106206  by Silverliner II

Head-end View wrote:BTW, some time ago I told the Port Authority what I thought of their new cab design via e-mail thru their website, and they responded that they needed the full-cab design so they could mount the newly required "positive-train-control" equipment in the left-side of the cab. I don't buy that of course. I think it was just public-relations B/S, but that was their official response to my inquiry.
Especially since they are going with CBTC for their new signalling system and all the necessary equipment was factory-installed on the cars. I'll go with the P/R B/S as well on that.....