Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#434882  by TheKornGuy

So, has anyone else seen this?
There is one E train that I take every day that leaves World Trade Center at 5:08PM that travels on the E line until 71st Continental. There, it switches over to the F line and runs as an F train to 179th. Its not because of track work or any issues since the roll signs on the train actually say "E - 179th St - World Trade Center."
I am not complaining, since it gives me one seat ride straight from WTC to 75th Ave, but does anyone know why they do this? And if there are any other E trains besides the 5:08 out of WTC that do the same thing? (possibly in the morning hours?)

#434886  by Love Train

There's always like 2-3 scheduled E trains that run to/from 179th St during rush hours. Check the schedule.

#434890  by TheKornGuy

When did they start doing that? And why? haha.

#434905  by Gerry6309

Before Archer Av. opened every E went to 179th St. This was probably a concession to long term riders at the peak hour. It wouldn't surprise me if a few AM trains originate there too.

#434914  by TheKornGuy

thanks for the info guys :)

#435113  by TheKornGuy

So i checked the online schedule and I cant seem to find any times for the 179th E train anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find it?

#435219  by Gerry6309

Remember that the definition of the E train is 8th Av. - Queens, so a variant to 179th is a minor issue. The schedule doesn't list exact train times at that hour so a variant isn't going to show up anyway - though it would be nice to include a footnote. I assume the conductor makes announcements.

#435228  by TheKornGuy

Yes, the conductor makes an announcement at 71st Continental saying "This train will be running on the F line." The entire train's roll signs even read "179th St" as the destination. I wish there was a way i could find out exactly when these trains ran.

#435817  by vish

There are 4 E trains that leave from 179st. The first one i believe leaves at 7:11am.
 #435874  by Head-end View

I once rode such a train at mid-day around 12-1:00. Approaching Union Tpke. the conductor announced "F-train to 179th St". I don't remember what the destination signs said. Was this a scheduled route-change or an an exception to normal running?

#435890  by bellstbarn

Is there any chance that these trains are stored in the extra space beyond 179th Street? Recall that Jamaica Center does not have as much room for lay-ups. Likewise, there are many times during the day when the turn-arounds at Jamaica Center are done so slowly that eastbound E trains are held at Sutphin for an opening to happen.

#438393  by NJTKid01

TheKornguy, I remember a few years ago, "E" Train timetables indicate the destination and origin of those 179th Street trains. I guess, you can still try now for exact times.

#441896  by ryanov

Pretty insane, to have 4 special trains, but no indication of when they run or that they run at all. What kind of system is this?

#441911  by TheKornGuy

the most recent time table says "Some E train rush hour trips to/from 179st Queens." SOME? Awesome, lol

#441914  by NJTKid01

ryanov wrote:Pretty insane, to have 4 special trains, but no indication of when they run or that they run at all. What kind of system is this?
This system is called MTA New York City Transit, where unreliable service is the norm!