Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#42971  by efin98

7 Train wrote:
Although the R32s didn't have AC but the R40's and up do POSESS them
The R32 does HAVE A/C. When there were rebuilt in 1987-90, they were rebuilt with A/C.
They would have been retired back in 1990 with the R27s and R30s if they didn't have A/C

#43105  by Robert Paniagua

The R32 does HAVE A/C. When there were rebuilt in 1987-90, they were rebuilt with A/C.

Good then, maybe the R38 cars posses them too.

#43141  by efin98

Robert Paniagua wrote:The R32 does HAVE A/C. When there were rebuilt in 1987-90, they were rebuilt with A/C.

Good then, maybe the R38 cars posses them too.
Rob, they were some of the first cars built with A/C! The majority didn't get it until they had their GOH but there were a few that did get it from the start. If I can I'll try to find their numbers to back that up.

#43317  by 7 Train

The majority didn't get it until they had their GOH but there were a few that did get it from the start. If I can I'll try to find their numbers to back that up
4140-49 were the first NYC Subway cars delivered with A/C as standard equipment in 1967. It was originally a test train, but proved successful that 200 R40's and all R42's would be ordered with A/C.

#43617  by Robert Paniagua

Rob, they were some of the first cars built with A/C! The majority didn't get it until they had their GOH but there were a few that did get it from the start. If I can I'll try to find their numbers to back that up.

Ok, thanks Ed! At least you know a bit more that I do about this car A/C issue than me :-) Thanks for the update.....lemme know if you do come across anything else.