Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#653  by NIMBYkiller

Is PATH getting new cars any time soon? I hope not, I love the ones they have now and think they're great.

#1885  by Head-end View

NIMBY?........ I think they will be getting new cars by the end of this decade. The older cars of the fleet are from the late 1960's, were rehabbed in the 80's, but I think will soon be at the end of their useful life, although they do seem well maintained. (They also have some newer cars from the late 1980's; the ones with 3 doors per side instead of 2) Yes they are excellent, especially for the huge windows, including the extra buff window on the left side of the car ends. They have been among my favorite trains to ride. Let's hope they don't buy full-width cabs like NYC Subways have done!

BTW, did you take the ride from WTC to Newark Station? It's about the best hour of railroad sightseeing anywhere in the NY area. And cheaper than the NYC Subways. :D

#2008  by NIMBYkiller

Yes head-end, it's me, posting now in shame really.

I agree, PATH will loose alot of character if they buy full width cabs.
 #3553  by communipaw

"IMHO": Neither the original "black cars" nor the PA series have/had the comfortable ride for passengers that the K-cars at the end of the H&M period had.

I don't think it's just a nostalgic feeling on my part, because it was the first thing I noticed the first time I rode a PA series car. And since for awhile you could be riding K cars and PA cars on the same day, it was an easy comparison to make.

http://www.hudsoncity.net/tubes/gatewaytubepage.html

#3650  by Ken W2KB

The K cars did have a better ride. Even the seats were more comfortable and the ride seemed to be more 'solid' than the newer cars.

#40677  by arrow

Rumor has it that the speed limit may be increased to 70mph by the time the new cars arrive.

#41082  by JLo

Realistically, where can the cars run that fast--between Journal Square and Harrison?

I see there is some construction along the PATH ROW at the Hackensack bridge. Looks like a lot of new, high fencing being installed with razor wire. Security reasons?

#42209  by 7 Train

I saw that last week coming off the Route 7 (Wittpenn) Bridge. I'm guessing to prevent trespassing onto the electrified tracks.

#53062  by F40

I was at first appalled by the bathtub in the loop before entering the WTC station. It is extraordinary to actually return under where the towers once stood... And yes, the WTC-NWK is a very memorable route for the railfanner.
 #53646  by Head-end View

You're right Pete. If you hadn't been there since the new station opened, I'm sure it was a little overwelming..........

And isn't that round trip about the best hour of railroad sightseeing? Especially with PATH's buff friendly front windows?

#53710  by F40

Ah. Didn't think of that. I should hog the railfan window next time. :-D

So far, the side views are extraordinary enough.

My first days of riding PATH date back to 1994, when I was a 7 year old, 1st grader. Having ridden that line many times, I do look back and think, how those times can never be brought back...