Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#16273  by matt1168

I made this map a few weeks back, and have been experimenting, adding new routes and stations, and taking away old ones. This was posted on SubTalk, and they liked it, so let's see what you think! Like I said, I keep adding to it.

http://railweb.homestead.com/fm1.gif

Tell me what you think!

#16276  by matt1168

The new routes:
  • -The "1" line has been extended from 242nd St. in the Bronx to Radford St. in Yonkers, via a new concrete elevated structure/embankment. Stations are fairly utilatarian.
  • -The "7" line has been extended from Flushing to Bell Blvd./Fort Totten. The new section of the line is in a deep bored tunnel under queens. Stations have high, soaring ceilings, are are similar to those on the Washington Metro.
  • -The "G" line has been extended from Smith/9th Sts. to Sheepshead bay, via the Brighton Line and a new concrete elevated viaduct.
  • -The "R" line has been extended over the Verrazano Narrows Bridge (single track in the median of the lower level), for rush hour service into Staten Island, to Tottenville via SIRT.
  • -The "7" line has been extended from Times Sq. to the Javitz Center via a new subway with stations similar to those on the 63rd St. Connector.
  • -A brand new "11" line runs along the "7" line to Jackson Hts., where it branches off on a new, high, concrete elevated structure to LGA airport. The stations are utilitarian, and are similar to that on the CTA Orange Line.
  • -The brand new "8" line runs from Queens Plaza to the Bronx via the N/W and a concrete structure over Randall's Island. It then runs with the "6" to Pelham Bay Park, where it branches off onto a new, deep bore, subway line to City Island. Stations have 100 foot high soaring roofs and colored lights, and are elevator only.
  • -The "W" line has been extended over Randall's Island to Brook Av. of the "6"
  • -The "6" line has been extended to Co-Op City via a new subway line, which has fairly utilitarian, island platform stations with metal slatted cielings.
  • -The brand new "K" train runs from Parsons/Archer to Broad Channel via a new deep bored subway and the A/C line.
  • -The "V" line has been extended to New Hyde Park, LI via a subway with utilitarian island platform stations from Merrick Blvd. to Hempstead Av., and then on an embankment to New Hyde Park, with utilitarian side platform stations.
  • -The "M" line has been extended to 75 Av. via a new concrete elevated structure with utilitarian side platform stations and via the Queens Blvd. Subway.
  • -The Roosevelt Island "S" train has replaced the Roosevelt Island Red Bus, and runs along Main St. from the subway station to northern downtown. It is a light rail line.
  • -The 86th St. "S" train runs in a deep, deep tunnel below 86th St. and Central Park, and has individual tube stations with narrow platforms and elevators only.
  • -The "L" train has been extended from Canarsie to Kings Plaza via a new bridge and a subway with stations like those on the Bay Ridge Line.
  • -The new Kings Highway LRT runs up Kings Hwy. and stops at major corners.
  • -The Woodhaven Blvd. Shuttle runs from Woodhaven Blvd. Station to Kew Gardens via a new concrete/steel elevated structure with island platform utilitarian stations.
  • -Coincidentally, both 105 St. station on the "L" line and Beach 105th St. Station on the "A" line have been eliminated due to low ridership.

#16289  by JayMan

Not bad dude. Yours is one of the first fantasy maps I've seen that doesn't incorporate the Second Avenue Subway.

In my fantasy maps I've pretty much steered clear of leaving the limits of NYC -- considering the issues around that (municipality quibbles, etc...) You've been more daring. Cool.

Oh, I'd really like to link Staten Island to the rest of the City via rail -- trouble is I couldn't think of a practical way -- is there really room for tracks on the Verazzano brigde? And considering the whooplah about getting funding for a SAS tunnel, imagine tunnel to SI, even if just to Brooklyn.

I see you went for my original map route, extending the 6 to Co-op City. That was my old idea, until I came up with using the New Haven Railroad ROW (the Amtrak) for a subway line (SAS extension).

Cool on the Mytle Ave extension. That's something I've wanted to tackle, but never did. Nice.

Pretty nice map overall, dude.

#16305  by matt1168

JayMan wrote:Not bad dude. Yours is one of the first fantasy maps I've seen that doesn't incorporate the Second Avenue Subway.

Oh, I'd really like to link Staten Island to the rest of the City via rail -- trouble is I couldn't think of a practical way -- is there really room for tracks on the Verazzano brigde? And considering the whooplah about getting funding for a SAS tunnel, imagine tunnel to SI, even if just to Brooklyn.
Thanks for the compliments!

I think there is room for a single track in the center of the lower level of the bridge. If not, maybe one lane could be taken away or something. Because of the single track, the "service" would start out being peak direction only, and if it works out, it would be sceduled so that trains could run all day, maybe every other train through or something. The only problem is that the trains going to Tottenville would have no place to go until the afternoon peak, but this could bring about a shortage of trains and lack of storage space.

#17616  by The Caternary Type

[Jaw thunks to the ground, hitting an outbound R over the verazzano]

#18227  by Otto Vondrak

You cant put railroad on the Verazzano structure, it's not designed for it. Any line to SIR will be via tunnel. The line to City Island? Fun! But... Why? TARS had a streetcar operation to City Island sixty years ago that was barely used even then... and no Second Ave? Other than that, nice ideas.

-otto-

#18307  by matt1168

Thanks for all the ideas, suggestions, and criticizms!

While some of my ideas are valid, like the extension to LGA and the Jacob Javits Center, others, like the subway over to SI and the City Island Line won't happen [in our lifetimes]. Guess that's why its called a fantasy map!

Keep it comin!

#18308  by matt1168

Also, since I uploaded the map, this has been added:

-The "12" line runs up into Northeastern Queens. During peak hours, it runs peak direction through to Times Sq. (it won't run to the Javitz Center)via the 7 "express" track, making only express stops. During all other times, it will run only to a lower level of Main St./Flushing, where one can simply walk upstairs to catch a 7 train to the city. The tunnel will be deep bored, in two individual tubes, with stations similar to Exchange Pl. on Path. (Using a similar platform layout and design).

Although I know it's not possible, if there were some way (which there isn't) to add a fourth track to the Flushing Line, then 12 service would run express on the line all the way through to Manhattan, and the 7 peak express would be eliminated.

#26170  by dgianna

Why not make the "V" line run express in Queens?
This would free up space at 71-Continental for the "G" line to terminate.

#26324  by matt1168

dgianna wrote:Why not make the "V" line run express in Queens?
This would free up space at 71-Continental for the "G" line to terminate.
Actually, what I'm thinking of changing/adding on the map now is this:

-"M" runs local along Queens Blvd. (look on map--local from Rego Park) to Jamaica-179 St.

-V runs local on Queens Blvd., with F running express, until Kew Gardens, when they both run express on the unused 179th St. express tracks. The new line to New Hyde park will now have 4 tracks on 2 levels (similar to the IRT Lex Line), with express on the lower level. In this area, the V will run express on weekdays, and the F will run local at all times.

#26756  by F23A4

IMO, it would be nice if the MTA (IRT) could take over PATH. Just a thought. :wink:

#26823  by 7 Train

The 8 (Bronx-Queens Crosstown) line on a concrete viaduct over Randall's Island? No! Put it on the (now abandoned) northenmost track of the Hell Gate Bridge! BTW, when was it torn up?

#27013  by matt1168

F23A4 wrote:IMO, it would be nice if the MTA (IRT) could take over PATH. Just a thought. :wink:
PATH specifications are a bit different than IRT specs, although many think that PATH and the IRT were built to the same specs.

I've always thought it would be cool if the MTA could just integrate PATH into the system, but just using the current rolling stock at the current stations, etc. All repairs/storage could be done at the current PATH yards in Journal Square/Harrison. The only difference would be on the passenger end; the PATH trains would have letter designations and free transfers to lines in Manhatten. It could be dubbed the "C" division.

Ex.:
-Newark-WTC=NYCT "I" train
-Journal Sq.-33rd=NYCT "Y" train
-Hoboken-WTC=NYCT "X" train
-Hoboken-33rd=NYCT "P" train

Also, the 33rd-Journal Sq. via Hoboken would be dubbed the YP train or something. Just a thought. :wink:

#29496  by The Caternary Type

How about this (Service Guide)
H:Newark-WTC All Times
X:HOB-WTC Except Late Nites
Y:JSQ-33 Except Late Nites
P:33-HOB Late Nites Extended to JSQ