Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#203550  by Terrapin Station

http://www.panynj.gov/drp/wtcth/initwtc ... initconstr

Relevant text:
Remnants of the former H&M Structure – Portions of the former H&M Structure remnants at the WTC Site will be demolished to permit the construction of future site program. This includes the ring sections below the 1 Line Subway box as well as in the areas of excavation of the East Bathtub. During excavation, a few ring sections will be extracted and if found to be in salvageable condition, transported to Hangar 17, John F. Kennedy International Airport (Hanger 17). In addition, 2 ring sections will be removed and used for evaluation and testing as part of the PATH Tunnel Security Program. The portion of the H&M bathtub wall along Church Street will remain and become a part of the future east bathtub wall and future WTC development. In order to stabilize the existing wall in its current location and absent of its support slabs, tiebacks will be installed to provide lateral restraint for the wall against the existing soil pressure due to Church Street. (See Figure 3)

Steel in the form of a cross – The steel in a form of a cross structure is currently mounted to the existing H&M structure. The project will demolish a majority of the remaining components of the former H&M Structure remnant, including the portion of the structure supporting the steel in the form of a cross. As a result, the steel in the form of a cross structure will be removed from its support and transported to Hanger 17 (or an alternate location to be determined) until its final location is determined. The temporary relocation and transport of this artifact will conform to the RPP. (See Figure 1 and Figure 3 and Photo 1)
I demand a tour of these areas before they are destroyed! Anyone with me?

#203558  by pgengler

I'd love to be able to walk through the old tunnel & station area bits before they're gone. I don't know how accomodating the PA would be to something like that, though.

#203922  by JLo

Contact the PA's press office and make a request to photograph the remnants before they are destroyed. I'm sure it has been done before, but you never know if they will let you do it unless you ask.

#205489  by arrow

Terrapin, there's still a long ways to go before that gets demolished.

#458946  by cobra30689

The things you WISH you had a camera for....
As a child(9 or 10 maybe...I'm 35 now) my father worked for Western Union when they were running the some of the first fiber optic cabling from northern NJ to Lower Manhattan through the PATH tubes. He, a couple of his co-workers(maybe a PA guy too?) and I walked through what I believe were the old tunnels to Hudson Terminal. I recall walking off the end of the old WTC platform, being told to step OVER the third rail and loop track...then walking down this tunnel. For the life of me I cannot remember where we ended up however...but I can still hear the flanges squealing....DAMN they were loud when you werent on the train!!!

#459016  by Allan

Brian, it sounds like a good idea to me.

I am not sure the area is easily accessible any longer. When the towers were standing there was an entrance from the concourse near where the doors to the IND subway is. That was of course demolished so there may not be an easy way in (short of rappelling down from above).

Why not write the PA and ask them. It might be something they could incorporate with whatever celebration they are planning (assuming they are planning to have one) for the Hudson Tubes/H&M/PATH Centennial next February.

#482431  by bytenik

pgengler wrote:I'd love to be able to walk through the old tunnel & station area bits before they're gone. I don't know how accomodating the PA would be to something like that, though.
Hudson Terminal is no longer accessible. Before it got enclosed, they let a tour group from the Stevens ASCE chapter visit it and a bunch took some pictures.

#492739  by OportRailfan

Hey everyone, I'm new here, but here's a link to the Stevens ASCE page...the pix from the October 2005 trip show some good shots of the old tubes

http://www.stevens.edu/asce/

-Frank

#494897  by Terrapin Station

OportRailfan wrote:Hey everyone, I'm new here, but here's a link to the Stevens ASCE page...the pix from the October 2005 trip show some good shots of the old tubes

http://www.stevens.edu/asce/

-Frank
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#514475  by drumz0rz

those are awesome pictures! I've been wanting to see that for a long time. It's amazing how different the tunnel looks when you crowd it with all those overhead conduits.
 #566893  by OportRailfan

just an FYI ladies and gents, there still is part of this remaining...

if you look at the slurry wall out into the east bathtub facing north, there is a small amount, maybe 2 rings worth, remaining of the original H&M tube... it's the original tunnel that used to bring cars into Hudson Terminal from NJ