Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#11854  by ericware

When is path going all metrocard. I know that they are getting ready to test SmartLink at the WTC.
 #12206  by R142A

ericware wrote:When is path going all metrocard. I know that they are getting ready to test SmartLink at the WTC.
I had no idea that there were even plans to make PATH all-Metrocard. Where did you hear this? I highly doubt this will happen.

#12321  by NIMBYkiller

They have Metrocard at Hoboken. I think at WTC too.

#12594  by ericware

I went to the advisory thing. They have finally gone metrocard in Hoboken, didn't know that.
 #17842  by blasito

NIMBYkiller wrote:They have Metrocard at Hoboken. I think at WTC too.
They do have metrocard/quickcard machines at WTC but not yet at Hoboken. I was told by a PATH agent at WTC on opening day that they would be phasing metrocard readers in by the end of 2004.
 #53777  by blasito

This weekend 14th St is closed while new turnstiles are put in that accept regular fare MetroCards.

I think Newark and Hoboken will be the big tests. I wonder if the MetroCard will end up being the most used card. The discount is close and a one card ride is handy.

I figure a $20 MetroCard will get you 16 rides at $1.25 a ride, a $24 PATH Quickcard will get you 20 rides at $1.20

Will the MTA have machines selling MetroCards in Hoboken and Newark?

#53852  by F40

Will the current QuickCard discounts be applicable to fares paid with MetroCard?

#53866  by blasito

F40 wrote:Will the current QuickCard discounts be applicable to fares paid with MetroCard?
The simple answer is no.

As I understand it, the PATH Quickcard and MTA MetroCard are completely seperate systems. The Quickcard just keeps track of the number of rides, while the MetroCard is value based. So a $24 Quickcard has 20 rides on it (a $30 value), while a $20 MetroCard is actually credited with $24 in value that can be spent on MTA and now PATH services.

#54977  by ericware

I have sneaking suspicion that when all of the PATH stations get the new fare gates, then they offer an unlimited Metrocard similar to the one offered on the AirTrain.

Who knows maybe ever eventually they all will work off of the same smartcard.

#57078  by ericware

I just read on the PA's web site, there goal will be to use SmartLink on all major Transit Systems by next June. Does this mean that subways will except it?
 #58784  by blasito

I haven't seen any announcement from MTA or NJT that they would be adopting this system, so the deals must still be going on. One chance that the PA will win big is that both the MTA and NJT are desperate for money while the PA is doing well considering. If the PA were to take over revenue collection systems they could provide the tech and administration at a discount to the regional transit providers. The catch is getting the PA to spend money if it doesn't make money. I wonder how big a cut of the farebox would it take to be profitable?
 #58980  by blasito

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/tra ... ines-trans
Replace the MetroCard?
BY JOSHUA ROBIN
Staff Writer
October 5, 2004, 6:16 PM EDT

Wipe out the swipe?

Cards that are waved, not swiped, are now being considered by the MTA for use at subway turnstiles and bus fareboxes.

Touted as a faster alternative to the MetroCard, the new technology, a card or key ring embedded with a microchip, is similar to E-Z Pass or Mobil Speedpass readers. PATH passengers will start using a similar system beginning in April.

The MTA last month put aside $43.9 million in capital funds to implement the system. But Henderson and other advocates fear that the MTA might never tap into that money because officials have expressed only tepid support. The MTA has known about the cards for at least seven years, officials said.

Installing the system would cost only $10 million, said Beverly Dolinsky, executive director of the advisory council. That does not include costlier software upgrades of $80 million, she said.

An MTA spokesman, Tom Kelly, would only say that the authority is "exploring the technology."

The chip in the cards contain an antenna that is powerful enough to be read through clothing and up to a foot away – powerful enough to be read through a purse, said Jae Lande, a spokeswoman for Cubic Corp., a San Diego-based company that makes Smart Cards and MetroCards.

Advocates also believe that riders will be able to use Smart Cards on both subways and commuter rails. It was unclear, though, how fares would be collected on the rails, where fares are based on distances and there are no turnstiles.

In addition to the PATH, transit systems in Chicago, Washington, D.C. and San Francisco use Smart Card technology. Dolinsky hopes that New York is next. "We think that transit users should have the same benefits as everyone else," she said.

Copyright © 2004, Newsday, Inc.