Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1505675  by Gilbert B Norman

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/11/nyre ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Once upon a time" I knew this station was there, as the IRT, when I lived in NY '62 and '63, was really the only line on which I felt "comfortable" (residing at @ 77th & Lex - IRT), I feared "getting lost" on the BMT and IND.
 #1508386  by newkirk

City Hall
 #1508428  by umtrr-author

Apparently you can ride through the station on the #6. Just stay on at Brooklyn Bridge heading "southbound", ignoring the "this train is out of service" announcement. (Which may have been changed to "next stop Brooklyn Bridge Northbound platform" according to a comment on the NY Times piece.)

The station is not lit except for "special runs" like those hosted by the NY Transit Museum, but it's still possible to see a little bit of the former glory.

Next time I'm in the area, I'm going to try to do this myself.
 #1508476  by GirlOnTheTrain

Crews don't clean out trains at Brooklyn Bridge. Ride to your heart's content. I suggest being in the head car - while the R62s don't have the RFW - the slot in the cab door doesn't have the glass that distorts your view like the newer equipment, and instead of squinting through the windows on the side of the car, you at least get some light from the headlights.
 #1508480  by Allan

I, on the other hand, recommend that you use the side windows in the 7th, 8th or 9th cars. The train will be traveling slowly through the station and will have restrictive signals ahead as it gets closer to the uptown Brooklyn Bridge platform so if the train has to stop then those cars may still be in the station for a minute or so. You will be able to get a good (and longer) view of the station.
 #1508545  by Kilo Echo

I just did this the other day. I can't recall seeing a #6 train without at least a couple of passengers—some with expensive cameras—aboard for the loop through City Hall station. Some out-of-towners, on the other hand, remain on board by mistake.