Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1501686  by Eric S Strohmeyer

Good evening everyone,

I had a quick question I was hoping someone here might be able to answer. I was looking at some older PATH photos tonight. I couldn't tell what type of couplers the older PATH cars were equipped with exactly.

Does anyone know what type of coupler was used on any of the PA series cars (PA-1, 2, 3, or 4) ?

In looking at photos of the K-cars, those cars seemed to clearly have Westinghouse H2C couplers (same type as a number of NYC car models).

The new PA-5 cars appear to equipped with Tomlinson couplers.

I was curious to know if the PATH system used an "odd-ball" coupler on their cars?

Thanks in advance!
 #1501945  by R36 Combine Coach

Eric S Strohmeyer wrote:I had a quick question I was hoping someone here might be able to answer. I was looking at some older PATH photos tonight. I couldn't tell what type of couplers the older PATH cars were equipped with exactly. Does anyone know what type of coupler was used on any of the PA series cars (PA-1, 2, 3, or 4) ?

The new PA-5 cars appear to equipped with Tomlinson couplers.
They appear to be Ohio Brass or something similar to R44/R46. Remember the PA1/2/3s were overhauled by MK in late 80s for PA4 compatibility. When delivered new from St. Louis in 1964/1965 the PA1s had H2Cs, as seen (same as the R32s and R36s at the time).