Railroad Forums 

• OMNY

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1502755  by orangeline

Is this OMNY going to be similar to Chicago's Ventra which repleced CTA transit cards several years ago? IIRC Ventra was to be usable to pay fares for all Chicago area transport (Pace bus, Metra), except for South-Shore line. It could also function as a debit card. There were problems in the beginning.
 #1502798  by andrewjw

It's supposed to be a carbon copy of Oyster from London. Ventra and Key are the same general technology but had more customization points (ability to use Ventra balance as a debit card, for instance) that brought headaches.
 #1502800  by Kilo Echo

How does this sort of system affect privacy?
 #1502835  by andrewjw

Just like Metrocard, the transit agency can keep a log of when and where every farecard was used, and link single-trip and new-card information based on using the same credit cards. The big difference is single-trips are essentially 'zero overhead' for credit card users.
 #1572134  by daybeers

Surprised that there isn't much discussion in this thread. By now, OMNY readers are installed on all NYCT buses, at all NYC subway stations, and all Staten Island Railroad stations. I used it with a smartphone on May 1st and it was lovely. So much easier than fiddling with an unreliable MetroCard.

I may be going back with a group later this summer and was confused at this entry on the OMNY FAQ page:
"Important: If you are using a new payment method, you will not be able to perform pass-backs when you use that payment method for the first time. This is because the system must have a record of your payment method before you can perform pass-backs."
OMNY is able to provide rides and transfers for up to four people on each contactless bank card or smart device. But if you arrive with someone who has never used the OMNY system, and say you are using a new smart device, does this mean each of you have to scan and then wait two hours until passbacks are available? I don't get it.

I hope we will learn more about the OMNY card and rollout to Metro-North and LIRR soon. Will CTDOT hop in on the system for the Hartford Line and Shore Line East?
 #1572168  by GirlOnTheTrain

Passback isn't two hours. Passback is what prevents you from handing your reduced fare card or an unlimited to another traveler in your party and resets within 18 minutes - aka "just used" on a Metrocard. Employees have been given embarrassingly limited information about OMNY in general and some of its weird quirks...it's definitely a learn as you go system from that perspective. If this happens to you - based on how that FAQ reads, I would assume this would only be problematic at the first station you visit, not subsequent ones. The validator will read "Ride Limit Exceeded". In theory, just like a normal pay per ride metrocard, you are supposed to be able to tap four people in.

The physical OMNY card as well as unlimited options are allegedly coming later this year. Reduced fare is probably going to come closer to when the metrocard is phased out.

Another fun fact about OMNY: Apple Cash is not a valid form of payment. Team Android all the way here, but I believe Apple Cash is much like Paypal where you can carry a balance. Cashapp cards have been problematic too, so I think they have limited use of cards that act as "prepaid".
 #1572313  by R36 Combine Coach

When PATH retired QuickCard in favor of SmartLink, customers were instructed to use up QuickCards as
they would expire. No refunds or SmartLink credit were offered.

NYCT still redeems tokens at cash value for refund (by appointment only or mail).
 #1572447  by STrRedWolf

GirlOnTheTrain wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:29 pm I have no idea. When they actually get rid of the Metrocard I assume they'll have an option - or just make you mail the card back to customer claims and refund you.
When WMATA went SmartTrip, they had a period where you could ether get a new paper card when you were under $7 on it... or get a SmartTrip and turn it in at the ticket machines. The TVMs would transfer the money from paper to plastic.
 #1572468  by GirlOnTheTrain

I hear the new OMNY machines are actually pretty decent. It would be nice if they had the capability to handle Metrocards until they're done because the current MVMs are beaten and abused and should have been replaced years ago.

I do believe that they will be capable of giving more than $9 change and will give change in bills, not just coins - since a lot of passengers whine about getting $1 coins. Whether this pans out remains to be seen but allegedly they'll arrive later this year.
 #1572525  by STrRedWolf

GirlOnTheTrain wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:27 pm I hear the new OMNY machines are actually pretty decent. It would be nice if they had the capability to handle Metrocards until they're done because the current MVMs are beaten and abused and should have been replaced years ago.

I do believe that they will be capable of giving more than $9 change and will give change in bills, not just coins - since a lot of passengers whine about getting $1 coins. Whether this pans out remains to be seen but allegedly they'll arrive later this year.
Checking their web site... BAH. MTA's chickening out, the bums. From https://omny.info/faq/how-omny-works :
MetroCard and OMNY are two separate systems, so it is not possible to transfer MetroCard value or passes to OMNY. However, as OMNY is rolled out, we will introduce fare options that are comparable to what is available with MetroCard today.