Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1491361  by Passenger

Must be feasible with current equipment and infrastructure.

I'm thinking Queens Boulevard line starting at 179th street Jamaica, 8th Avenue line in Manhattan to Fulton Street line Brooklyn and terminating at Far Rockaway.

Is that really the best?

Thank you.
 #1491402  by Allan

Passenger wrote:Must be feasible with current equipment and infrastructure.

I'm thinking Queens Boulevard line starting at 179th street Jamaica, 8th Avenue line in Manhattan to Fulton Street line Brooklyn and terminating at Far Rockaway.

Is that really the best?

Thank you.

I would still think that at 31 miles the A from 207th St to Far Rockaway-Mott Av would be the longest.
 #1491415  by andrewjw

Rockingham Racer wrote:I'll submit the 241st and White Plains Road to Far Rockaway would be the longest.
No can do - this combines the IRT and the IND. Trains can't run on both (and there is no service connection between them which would not require reversing).
 #1491777  by GojiMet86

Jamaica-179th Street to Norwood-205th Street via Coney Island.

How? The route would run through Coney Island Terminal, which would act as a through stop.

As to which specifc physical lines this route would use, I would go with 6th Avenue via Culver going down, and Sea Beach or West End coming up, then 6th Avenue Bridge and up 8th Avenue to the Bronx.
 #1491781  by rr503

Ah! Of course.

Now if I may throw another fun one into the mix -- longest routing (assuming A and B compatible stock) without ever reversing or repeating line segments. What I've got now is 179-QB local-8th Ave-Cranberry-Culver Local-West End-4th-6th-CPW-Concourse-Concourse Yard-Jerome-Lex-SF Loop-7th-Lenox-WPR-Wakefield 241.
 #1491790  by andrewjw

GojiMet86 wrote:Jamaica-179th Street to Norwood-205th Street via Coney Island.

How? The route would run through Coney Island Terminal, which would act as a through stop.

As to which specifc physical lines this route would use, I would go with 6th Avenue via Culver going down, and Sea Beach or West End coming up, then 6th Avenue Bridge and up 8th Avenue to the Bronx.
I was thinking about
179 St - Queens Blvd - 63 St - Broadway Local - Montague Tube - 4 Av - Sea Beach - Culver - run on the G to Hoyt-Schermerhorn... but there is no track connection to run to the Fulton St Line, right?
 #1492277  by Passenger

GojiMet86 wrote:Jamaica-179th Street to Norwood-205th Street via Coney Island.

Much better. Thanks. :wink:

Maybe some way of going around and around forever?
 #1492333  by andrewjw

The only 'loops' that are not in yard tracks are the City Hall (Lex local) and South Ferry (Lex express, 7 Av local) tracks, or through-running Coney Island. All of these allow a southbound train to run northbound.
Unfortunately, there is no track connection at 7 Av B/D/E which prevents a loop 8 Av / Cranberry / Culver / West End or Sea Beach / 4 Av / Manhattan Bridge North / 6 Av.
There is also no longer a connection from Manhattan Bridge South to Centre St, so it is not possible to run Montague / Nassau / Manhattan Bridge South + Brighton / West End or Sea Beach / 4 Av either.
So it is not possible to loop a northbound train back south.

With yards allowed, the Westchester Ave yard, 239 St yard, 207 St Yard, Jamaica Yard, and East NY Yard allow a northbound train to return south.
 #1493464  by Paul1705

In the early 1970s the E train during rush hours did run from 179th-Jamaica to at least Euclid Avenue. I don't remember if some trains went on to the Rockaways.

The "E" provided express service along the Fulton Street line. I think the "A" ran as a local at all times and there was no express service outside of rush hours.

Another long route was the QJ (I think that was the designation) which ran from Coney Island to 168th-Jamaica Avenue via the Brighton line and the Nassau Street loop.
 #1494091  by R36 Combine Coach

andrewjw wrote:With yards allowed, the Westchester Ave yard, 239 St yard, 207 St Yard, Jamaica Yard, and East NY Yard allow a northbound train to return south.
Corona (7) now has a loop, added in 2007 as part of reconstruction.